Need Advice on 3pt Lift Disk

/ Need Advice on 3pt Lift Disk #1  

PGibber

Tractor
JD 5203
I am new to TBN and have enjoyed reading the various postings; however, I am in need of some advice related to my recent purchase of a 3pt lift disk. I bought a 6.5 lift disk, which weighs just over 1,000lbs and has 20 notched disks. I have a JD 5203 4WD tractor. My first run with disking my place I was not that pleased with the performance of the disk as it barely made a dent into the soil, so I borrowed a friend痴 7-shank chisel plow, which did a great job of plowing up my place. I figured I could easily go back over my place with the new disk given the ground is much softer being recently plowed.

The issue: The first set of disk work great and dig into the ground, but the back set of disks barely dig into the ground. When disking I am using my Draft. I know I probably need to weigh the back down, but before I make an attempt at throwing some weight on the disk, wanted to see what type of advice is out there on the best way to weight down a lift disk.

/ Need Advice on 3pt Lift Disk #2  
On the smaller discs,if everything is adjusted properly..i have seen people weight them down with everything from box blades chained on top,concrete blocks to fifty five gallon drums filled with water..

/ Need Advice on 3pt Lift Disk #3  
Adjust your top link so the thing rides level when it is settled into the ground. It sounds like you have it set to be level or perhaps with a little tilt toward the front when on the same plane as the tractor. You want the front a bit high on flat hard ground so when it sinks into the soil it runs level.

There are lots of more experienced guys here who will chime in shortly, FarmwithJunk being one. Listen to them if they differ from what I've told you. And welcome aboard!

/ Need Advice on 3pt Lift Disk #4  
depending how you have your draft set,it will let the disc walk up and down,make sure top link is set properly..on those smaller discs..because of size, weight,offsets and mostly soil ( blackland vs sandy loam) they tend to run on the top of compacted or soil that hasnt been worked in a while..some additional weight may be needed..there is a night in day difference in the way my 10' disc and 21' disc both pull..nature of the beast..