Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Nasty Sticker Bushs and Flat Tires

Do the industrian tires have more plies? I have aggs on my yanmar, and industrial on my NH... the ags just look more.. mean and nasty.... If true.. thats good... I go 4 wheelin with the NH
    Soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT w/FEL

I think most R4's are at least 7 ply (least the ones I've seen). They ARE tougher than R1's but can still be punctured. I would go to gemplers.com and put the tire sealant in all your tires. Never hardens, is worth the price of one flat and I'd highly recommend it. (I used 3 gal and did my tractor, lawn tractor, wheelbarrow, and 10cu foot double wheel lawn cart all for about $90.) Haven't even had a bead leak since. Will seal up to a 1/4 inch puncture. Also as indicated you may be better off going in forward with the bucket low to flatten everything out. Going in reverse puts you driving over newly cut saplings and they can be like punji stakes! Happy hoggin' [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 186D

<font color=blue>newly cut saplings can be like punji stakes!</font color=blue>

I remember reading that dull blades on your bush hog shatter rather than cutting clean. I was worried when I got new blades that I would be leaving sharp spikes all over the place. Not to worry, even with new blades on the first day the stumps looked like paint brushes.

Chris

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New BX2200 4-3-02 (traded 6-08) new B2620 06-08

I agree with putting the good sealer in the tires. I have a Polaris 500 and one of the kids got into an area of the woods with locust trees. Some of those thorns can be 3+ inches long. Couldn't find the leak because the thorns break off and are black just like the tires.. Finally put the sealer in and have never had a problem since... In fact after we put in all the tires we have never had a flat. Somtimes we find a thorn sticking out of a tire and we just pull it out. Get the good stuff though not the stuff that hardens. We popped a tire off the rim one time by bouncing off a big rock. The fluid came out also but we just wipped it off with a paper towel and water.. Neat stuff........ One other thing be careful of the locust thorns. You can get a pretty bad infection if one of them punctures your skin......

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L4610HSTC

Sorry to dissagree with John B-U-T, the industrials that came on my L4610 kubota (46 HP 4x4) are way thin in the ply dept. I wouldn't do it with my tractor. Mine are 4 ply rated Goodyear. I have had a couple really inconvenient (but aren't they all?) flats. One was a $50 flat and that was with me taking the wheel and tire to them. If you get the nasty buggers out of the ground you can burn them in a safe (won't drive there) place.

Regarding punji sticks... If you adjust your brush hog way high the stobs left behind can be safely driven over. Much stuff will still be killed and next year or the year after you can hit them again with the brush hog set pretty low and after aging/rotting for a year or two they will come off even with the ground. I got this from my Kubota salesman who put himself through college brush hogging. I have tried it and it works pretty good. I do not use it on locust trees or anything with really nasty long thorns. I have avoided them. I will take a whack at them with the FEL. Or wait till I build one of those toothed tree puller thingies to mount in place of the bucket on the FEL.

Let us know what you do and how it works.

Patrick

Thanks for the helpful advice. Driving straight with the FEL low has worked well. I also backed into some stuff and so far no flat.

Thanks,
    Newland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12