How does this happen?

/ How does this happen? #1  

Champy

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 990
The other day my 15 yr old son and I dug up a 12' cedar tree to transplant onto our hedgerow. He drove the tractor; dug up the cedar; then lined up the FEL (while blinded by the tree in the bucket); and carefully loaded it into the back of my pickup truck for the trip into town. No issues....nice job (proud father).:D

Last night he goes to back my truck out of the garage, and drives straight forward into the house!!!!! Crushed some steel shelves; dented the front bumper; stuff scattered everywhere. OMG!!! He says he missed "R" and went straight to "D" by mistake....Bad job (angry father):mad:

How can he do so well running the JD990 and then do this @$*^% to my truck??? Maybe he was playing with the radio or something. It scared the dookey outta him, so perhaps he'll be more cautious now.

/ How does this happen? #2  
More seat time on the tractor than in the car?

-Mike Z.

/ How does this happen? #3  
Gotta love teenagers. Invincibility syndrom? No bad experiences to learn from yet? Just be glad it was only some crushed shelvs and minor damage with no injuries... Maybe he will realize that YES, it can happen to him, and that little missed detail can bite faster than he ever dreamt possible...

/ How does this happen? #4  
Maybe he thought D meant Demolish :D
sorry about that
:)

/ How does this happen?
MrJimi said:
Maybe he thought D meant Demolish :D
sorry about that
:)

LOL....thanks MrJimi.........tonight in order to improve his truck "skills" - and also to show him that I trust him, I am going to ask him to practice backing the truck out. Hopefully no more demolition derby results.

/ How does this happen? #6  
Make sure he watches the mirrors don't catch side of building or the front bumper if he swings it around
he has a great teacher

/ How does this happen? #7  
I always wonder about those kinds of things too...then, I go out and do something stupid myself (like trying to back out of the shop with the garage door only partway up and catching the rops on it).

Then, it all comes back to me.

/ How does this happen? #8  
Well... now, if you teach him to back into the garage, two useful things will happen...he'll learn how to back into tight spaces using the mirrors, and, when he heads out... it'll only be the garage door that he hits:D Seems to me that it would be best if we could choose the "learning experiences" that our kids have so we could select those that achieve the objective at minimal cost... sure wish it worked that way!

Glad he and you and rest of the family are Ok... bricks and mortor and shelves can be fixed.

/ How does this happen? #9  
When I was his age, I heard that the "R" meant "Race".

/ How does this happen? #10  
Champy said:
LOL....thanks MrJimi.........tonight in order to improve his truck "skills" - and also to show him that I trust him, I am going to ask him to practice backing the truck out. Hopefully no more demolition derby results.

I think what you are doing is cool. He needs to know that you still trust him. It takes patience. If that is the worst thing he ever does, count yourself lucky.