Smokey Kubota

/ Smokey Kubota #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
I have a late 70s B6000E in mint condition that seems to always run a little smokey. Under normal conditions you cannot see the blue tint to the exhaust, but on a sunny afternoon it is quite visible. The machine runs great, and I am told by the previous owner that the injectors are only a year or two old. Is this normal for an older diesel?

/ Smokey Kubota #2  
My 1981 or so Yanmar is the same way. I think it's pretty normal for a diesel to smoke like that. As long as it starts easily and has good power there's probably nothing wrong with it.

/ Smokey Kubota #3  
My late 70's B6100 is the same way too. I can particularly see the smoke when it's dark out with the headlights on, not so much during the day. So I was thinking it had something to do with cold weather since I don't drive it at night during the summer.
I've been hoping it was "normal" so now that I know there's at least two others I'm feeling more comfortable.

/ Smokey Kubota #4  
Steve,

I saw the same in sunlight with the L185 I had - 900 + hours never used oil, started/ran well and was miserly on fuel. So suspect it's normal unless air/fuel mixture is off.

I have an 87 300 diesel MBenz that is similar, but once when it seemed like a little more than usual, I started looking for a cause.. Well, seems mice decided to make a nest in the air filter with insulation which restricted the air flow, thus the problem. So I fired the cats, and put out some mice bait and never had a problem since..

The newer engines have different head/cylinder configurations (cars and tractors) and don't seem to do this is my experience.

Carl