What Kind and Size Hooks

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Now that my new TC30 is on the way I'm wondering what kind of hooks to attach to my bucket. I plan on finding the strong American made type hooks, but what kind and size. I have two chains, both are 5/16. Should I put 5/16 grab-hooks on there or should I put 3/8 grab-hooks on there in case I ever upgrade to a stronger chain. The 3/8 grab-hooks will still hold on to a 5/16 chain, right? Or maybe I should'nt use grab-hooks at all and I should use slip hooks./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif What to do /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif
Jerry

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #2  
Well, you helped me out, so now it's my turn. Try this link <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=119606&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=hooks&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=119606>Bucket Hooks..Again</A>. I'm sure you'll find some good info. there.

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #3  
Sorry I don't have a picture but this is pretty easy to visualize. Instead of hooks I bolter a piece of three inch heavy ange iron across the top of my bucket. I drilled and used bolts (removable and no welding) and in the vertical edge I used a chop saw to make slits. These hold the chain like a grab hook and if you ever get bigger chain, remove and cut the slit bigger! I use three slits. One right, one left, and one center. Reinforces the top edge of the bucket and distributes the weight, is the cheapest way to go, and you don't have to worry about "inferior" grab hooks. That angle iron isn't going ANYWHERE!

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #4  
Jerry, I had the dealer weld 3 hooks on my bucket. Two grab hooks on each end, and a slip hook in the middle. I specified 3/8" hooks so I could use either size chain. No problems yet.

--Brad

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #5  
My father-in-law has been a welder for 40 years and does a lot of work on ag and industrial equipment. When I got my Cadet I asked him to weld a few hooks. He convinced me to go with a single 3/8 grab hook mounted in the center. He described several tractors severely damaged by pulling from one side of the bucket. Not only did it wrack the loader arms, but the tractor frame too.

He welded a 3/8" plate (4"x6") on top of the bucket and then welded the grab hook to that. I have lifted the back wheels several times trying to pull some stumps, without damage to the tractor. Although I do most of that kind of pulling using the drawbar on the back with rocks loaded in the bucket for balast.

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #6  
Sounds like a great idea Gerard! What size angle iron did you use (thickness)? Also, how many bolts did you use?

Can anyone see any problems with Gerard's solution?

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #7  
The thickness I used was (I'm guessing since I'm not home at the moment) probably 1/4 or more likley 5/16 thick. Could have gone lighter - it's way overkill but I had a piece laying around. Think I used three or four bolts - nothing crazy, maybe 7/16 grade 2. Painted it up in Kubota orange and it works great. If there's a downside I haven't found it yet and since I just bought a welder I COULD weld some grab hooks but see no reason too. re the one hook in the center - I like the option of three. As long as you never pull only from one side you won't rack anything so I don't see that as a legitimate problem. There are times you want more stability to run two chains to a central point and you need the two outside points where a center alone won't cut it. I'll take some pics and post, hopefully over the weekend!!

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #8  
I agree with the slip hook in the center but also like 2 grab hooks at the ends of the bucket. The reason being you can lift longer objects while securing them to the bucket.

Bill C

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #9  
Having no access to a welder here's what I did:

I bolted a single tow hook to the center of my bucket. The tow hooks are commonly available at farm stores or auto parts stores. Get one with a "keeper". Two drilled holes and you're on the way. I drilled the same holes in a small piece of scrap 1/4 inch steel for a backup behind it all.

Then I purchased a "grab ring", (that's what Bird told me it was called I think). It's a forged ring with a grab slot in the bottom. If I need a grab hook, I just slip that ring over my tow hook and I'm all set.

I'm leary of having hooks at the outer edges, too tempting to lift from there and risk torquing my loader /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ What Kind and Size Hooks #10  
The only drawback I am aware of for hooks in the center of the bucket is the possibility of crushing the top edge under load. Maybe Gerard's reinforcement of steel plate is sufficient. Different guys have taken different approaches, like welding a piece of pipe behind the top lip, or closing the lip with angle iron. I think the important thing is to reinforce it all the way across, to spread the load. I have seen pictures of collapsed buckets. I'm sure I could collapse the bucket on my Kubota LA-402 loader with very little effort and a hook in the middle.

I have a 3/8 grab hook at each end. If I need to lift something from one point, I sling a chain across both hooks, then down the middle from there. Usually one chain is long enough to link back on itself it the midpoint, making a center lift. Someone else made a point I agree with - long objects won't spin around as you move them with two lifting points. Also, if something cannot be lifted by its center point, using two points lessens the tilt the object may have. If the tilt is too great, you may not be able to lift the loader high enough to clear the ground, especially if there are bumps and dips in your path.