Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote?

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote? #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I'm in the process of installing a 4 spool valve with only plans to use two of the spools for now for top and tilt cylinders.

Trying to decide if I should even bother with getting QDs for the work ports that are going to be used for the top and tilt cylinders. I don't plan to disconnect them unless I need to take a cylinder in to be fixed as I have two other spools that are unused for anything else I need.

Does anyone regularly disconnect their TnT cylinders from their work ports to make QDs worthwhile?

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote? #2  
So far, I have only disconnected the TnT when I'm installing the backhoe on my B7800. But I don't have that many hours on it yet. When I get a log splitter, I will need to disconnect one of the two to power splitter. Only have the two.

GS

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote? #3  
Hey Canoetrpr, If you have a post hole digger you'll need to at least remove the hydraulic top link when hooking that to your tractor, so it would be preferrable to have QD fittings I would think. Unless you can rig up some sort of hanger for the cylinder when it needs to be detached; leaving the hoses connected.

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote?
Good points. Alas, there is neither a backhoe nor a PHD in my future (as much as I would like them to be).

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote? #5  
You can always get the QDs later if you decide that you need them.

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote? #6  
The top cylinder will have to come off if you use almost any post hole digger I've ever seen. That said, I guess you could leave the connected cylinder hanging off the back w/bailing string... Since I have QD's I just pull mine off & set in on a shelf in the barn while the PHD is on the tractor.

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote? #7  
Like others, my top cylinder comes off when the backhoe goes on.

The tilt cylinder, however, spends more time off than on. I've found that the tilt is indispensible for certain implements and a hinderance for others. I use it for a back blade, box scraper, and that's about it.

Personally, I'd put disconnects on them both.

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote? #8  
I vote for putting the QD's on now. I don't have tilt, just toplink, so can't say about it. Besides the PHD, my MF plow has to have a very long toplink to fit my tractor so I have to remove the cylinder for it as well so there's 2 implements that I can't use the cylinder on.

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote?
Hayden - I'm interested to know how the tilt cylinder hinders other implements? It may be obvious but I've never used one.

/ Does anyone regularly disconnect hydraulic TnT cylinders from remote? #10  
They tend to drift down over time and you have to pay attention and keep re-leveling the implement. If you are mowing grass, for example, it's a pain to keep adjusting, and it's actually pretty hard to tell when it's level, especially if the ground is uneven. I find having fixed links is much easier when the implement should always be level.

The key is that the cylinder (any cylinder) never holds its position under load for extended periods of time. How much it drifts varies, but it will drift.