Attaching chain to draw bar

/ Attaching chain to draw bar #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
How do you guys attach a chain to either the belly draw bar or a draw bar on the three point? I was wanting a shackle that the chain would slip through. The problem I keep running into is if the opening is big enough to fit over the draw bar the pin is too big to fit in the hole.

/ Attaching chain to draw bar #2  
I have a trailer ball on my tractor drawbar. Hook the chain around the trailer ball. Weight will keep it on the ball.

I do not recommend, at all, attaching a chain to the 3ph draw bar. It is too easy to mess up the sway bars with a side pull... also,and more importantly, you MUST ALWAYS have the pull down low to keep from turning your tractor over. Use the tractor draw bar... that's what it's for... There are threads on TBN that show videos of what happens when using different chain configurations... net is... tractor draw bar = good.... 3ph draw bar = bad for chaining stuff , easy to upend tractor.

/ Attaching chain to draw bar #3  
the best way is with a clevis (see here for an example.)
you loop the chain through the clevis and hook it back on itself.

Aaron Z

/ Attaching chain to draw bar
Aaron,
That is what I was looking at. What I should have done is measure things before I posted. I was trying to put it on the 3pt draw bar and it just wouldn't fit. The next largest had a larger pin and it would not fit the holes. Well then I measured the tractor draw bar. It is an 1/8" thinner and with a 1" hole. So the clevis I have did work and I dragged out some logs along the fence line. Then tried cleaning out the drainage ditch a little with the FEL. You would have thought that after the first time getting stuck I would have realized it was too wet to work in. No 2 more times before I called it quits. thanks for the help.

Eric

/ Attaching chain to draw bar #5  
I bought some bowling-pin-shaped snap hook devices that I use on each end of my chain that I attach to the top of my brush hog. Bought these at TSC. One end of the "bowling pin" will exactly fit over the pins of a Cat I 3ph. In between it and the bigger end is a snap section that folds in to allow you to pass the big end into a link of chain. These things are quite thick, but they won't take the pull of a clevis that others mentioned.

These will snap right into the holes in the drawbar.

Ralph

/ Attaching chain to draw bar #6  
Here's a picture, showing both ends of the chain that I use. In the picture, it was functioning as a runaway chain for my Gravely cart attached to the tractor drawbar. The bowling pins gizmos are to the right and left ends of the chain in the picture.

Ralph

Attachments

• Runaway chain.JPG
    Runaway chain.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,562
   / Attaching chain to draw bar #7  
You can buy a chain-hook that bolts right onto the drawbar just like that clevice does. Its really nice for chaining logs, cuz you cna hook them super short and pick the whole end of the tree up and drag it wherever you want! :) Local fleet farm store carried them here. :cool:

/ Attaching chain to draw bar #9  
RalphVa said:
The bowling pins gizmos are to the right and left ends of the chain in the picture.
if anyone else is looking for these kind of pins, ask for Carabiners.

Aaron Z

/ Attaching chain to draw bar #10  
Um... I have and use carabiners for various purposes, but am very careful to never put serious strain on them.... be very careful if you use them.... they are made of various materials, including aluminum, and typically have far less strength rating than similar size chain.... just be careful using them.