Oil & Fuel Grand L fuel consumption.

/ Grand L fuel consumption. #71  
First fuel burn data point on my MX5000 was 3.8 gallons for 3.1 tach hours or about 1.25 gph (accounting for a few ounces of fuel additive there). Was bush hogging some very heavy stuff with 6' BB720 and turning 2100 to 2300 RPM...which is about 20% below PTO speed...and running in 2nd and 3rd gear, low range but without FEL.

Less than 30 hours on it, so it's still tight. As I recall, that's better than I've done with the L4300. Usually it gets around 1.4gph when worked hard. Will hafta recheck as the 4300 is smaller and should do better.

Oh, and Dargo; I appreciate it when someone lists the equipment they have. If I'm considering buying something, I first like to 'ask the man who owns one'...and I don't mind providing the same service on something I own.
Bob

/ Grand L fuel consumption. #72  
Maybe the old adage"don't send a boy to do a man's job" applies here!

/ Grand L fuel consumption. #73  
I have a thought that may be applicable to the original posters question.

The new Grand L tractor has a tach that measures RPM's and makes the conversion to time assuming you are turing PTO RPMS. That means that if you run at 1/2 PTO speed for a light job for 2 hours, the "hour meter" will register 1 "hour" of time. Basically, that is a way to normalize maintenance between heavy work and light work. It's a known improvement over the cheap lawn mower meters that just spin when power is applied. No connection to the engine running, just the key on time.

I think the smaller older Kubota's would have the key on hour meter. If so, running one of them at low rpm would show a low fuel use per clock hour.

Make sense?
jb

/ Grand L fuel consumption.
Yes it doe's john. In the case of this huge aeration job, im comparing overall fuel use, nothing to do with time. The 3540 is simply way more tractor than the 3030, so its less burdon to pull that aerator.

/ Grand L fuel consumption. #75  
Yes it doe's john. In the case of this huge aeration job, im comparing overall fuel use, nothing to do with time. The 3540 is simply way more tractor than the 3030, so its less burdon to pull that aerator.

And that is a good example of when bigger is cheaper to run than smaller! Sort of like that old saw about sending a boy to do a mans job.