Mowing cutting pasture with a rotary mower

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower #1  

bruski

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota b2400HSD
:D This has probably been covered in depth repeatedly, but I'm amazed so I'll mention it. Not to diss my previous tractor (b7100), but having for the first time cut pasture with the same bush hog squealer (48 inch) with the b2400 after using the other tractor last year, there is an impressive difference. That bush hog now just sings and the grass (cut high, so not much resistance) is zipped off/away neatly! I can cut in the higher range, more neatly, and more quickly. There's no replacement for displacement/horsepower! For you newbies out there, make sure the tractor you buy can handle the rotary mower you plan to use it with effectively!

Bruski

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower #2  
Think you're comparing 16? (on B7100) to about 24? (on B2400). That's a 50% difference. If my wife's old Benz with 65 hp diesel had 50% more hp, it would be a tremendous car. It's still a great car, but you really have to plan your route and do lots of engine revving to get there.

My 4010 (18.5 hp) with its 48" LX4 brush hog does a great job.

Ralph

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower #3  
bruski said:
:D make sure the tractor you buy can handle the rotary mower you plan to use it with effectively!

Bruski

I Agree 100%

The other way of looking at it is to make sure the rotary mower you buy can be handled by your tractor. I downsized from a 5' to a 4' and I really think I could cut more with the 4' because it was more compatible with my tractor.

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower #5  
I went from a 30hp gas to a 47hp diesel with the same 60" brush hog. What a world of difference. Mowing was a much nicer chore.:D

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower #6  
I just finished cutting about 8 acres with a Kubota BX24 and a 48" rotary cutter. I have another 8 to go. That's alot of back-and-forth...

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower #7  
One thing you don't see mentioned often is mower design can also make a big difference in performance and required power.

I've mentioned it before but will repeat myself once more. The 5' cutter I have and use with the Yanmar handles my pasture without breathing hard. Before I bought the tractor I used my BIL Kaobta and JD mower. His Kabota is a little larger than mine and on the same pasture his equipment struggles. I place the blame on the mower design, it doesn't let the cut grass out from under the deck and just sucks the power.

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower #8  
bruski said:
For you newbies out there, make sure the tractor you buy can handle the rotary mower you plan to use it with effectively!

Bruski

Ok now you have my attention. So what mower size do you have, Bruski?

I just purchased a B7100 and I plan on getting a brush mower to replace my DR mower. I know the Operators manual say to use a (max) 4 ft mower but if you struggled with a 4 ft then maybe I should look at a little 42" mower. And I also have been told by a tractor dealer that people try to cut too much with their mowers. He said raise it up and make several passes.

But the universal rules still applies "There is no replacement for displacement" :D :D

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower #9  
I went with the 60" cutter for my 24 PTO HP tractor. I also used this same 60" cutter with a 16 PTO HP tractor.
Both did OK. The 24 HP machine didn't bog much and recovered quicker.

However, when it comes to real thick nasty stuff, I'll run a partial width pass (say 3-4 feet of the cutter's width) through the uncut areas. So, I'd still have the advantage of the 60" cutter whening hogging the more easily mowed brush (basically, tall grass). That worked well with my first (16 PTO HP) Deere 670 and my current (24 PTO HP) 790.

I upgraded my tractor to handle a chipper (nothing to do with brush cutting)...which I still haven't bought...but one of these days I'll come across a deal.

/ cutting pasture with a rotary mower
Chuckanut said:
Ok now you have my attention. So what mower size do you have, Bruski?

I just purchased a B7100 and I plan on getting a brush mower to replace my DR mower. I know the Operators manual say to use a (max) 4 ft mower but if you struggled with a 4 ft then maybe I should look at a little 42" mower. And I also have been told by a tractor dealer that people try to cut too much with their mowers. He said raise it up and make several passes.

But the universal rules still applies "There is no replacement for displacement" :D :D

I have a Bush Hog 48" squealer. My b7100 manual indicated a maximum 42" width rotary cutter (I noticed this after getting the 48"). The little 7100 did ok with the 48" bush hog. I've just noticed the 2400 cuts more effortlessly.

Bruski