Tree hogging with a CUT

/ Tree hogging with a CUT #1  

patrick_g

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L-4610HSTC
I was out clearing some more pasture earlier this afternoon. Brush and trees take moisture and nutrients that could be used by grass that would be eaten by cattle and turned into BBQ. The brush and trees shade the ground and there is little or no grass if the brush and trees are too thick and or close together.

There being more demand for BBQ than brush and scrub trees, every so often I invest some management time to incrementally rectify the situation.

The picture with the shoe in it is to illustrate the size of trees I routinely cut with my Kubota Grand L4610HSTC. Decoded, that means a cab tractor with heat and air, 4WD, 39 PTO HP. The shoe in the picture is size 13 to give an idea of the size of the "brush" I cut. I cut up to this size by driving over them like mowing grass. Larger trees require a different technique.

For larger trees and sometimes even for much smaller ones than pictured, I raise the brush hog with the hydraulic topping lift and back up to the tree or brush. Once I make good contact I then slowly lower the brush hog, "eating" the tree down to the preferred height.

I prefer to leave a stump at least 6-8 inches tall for small stuff and higher for the big stuff. This allows me to drive the tractor or my trucks over the cleared area with out puncturing a tire on the "punji sticks." When a tire contacts the taller-than-standard stumps they are pushed over harmlessly instead of poking a hole in the tire. I have been doing this successfully for hundreds of tractor hours.

Previously, not knowing any better I thought shorter was better for brush and I found that if I remove my wheel with the flat tire on it and use a winch to drag it onto my trailer and drive it 60 miles round trip I can have the flat fixed for $50 per episode (rear wheels.) I can get a front done locally for $10. I only ruined one good truck tire. It has been over 5 years since I poked a hole in a tire due I believer to cutting brush a bit higher.

Lots of the plants cut off 8-10 above ground die, the trunks rot off at or below ground and next year they just fall over when you run over them with the brush hog. Sometimes they put up shoots and try to recover. These can be mowed again the second year (depriving them of solar panels a second consecutive year - solar panels are leaves, without which the plants don't do very well.)

Also depicted in the accompanying pix is a shot of the Cimarron brush hog. It is a 6 ft HD model. If I recall correctly it is rated for at least 80 PTO HP (more I think.) It has a slip clutch, NOT shear bolts for self protection. By using a brush hog designed for over twice the PTO HP I have and with the slip clutch, it is unlikely that I can easily break it. I have broken blades (they are 4 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick and I distorted the mower around the edges and welded on reinforcement. The braces on the deck are channel not bar or angle.

One of the pix shows an area after mowing it and the picture with the cute little BBQ's to be shows the motivation for removing trees and brush to get more grass so the little fellers (so far 6 steers and 1 heifer but more coming soon if the "Girlz" stay on task) have more graze.

The purpose of this post is NOT bragging but to share my experience. I have frequently mentioned how I use the brush hog but never showed pix. Between the pix and the narrative maybe I can provide data of interest to someone trying to size a brush hog to a tractor or brush hog or tractor to a job. I think I am at the upper limit of the envelope of HP vs the brush cutting task. If you need to handle heavier brush you will need more tractor or a different implement. Tractor mounted hydraulic shears (front or back mounted) would be a good choice as would a chain saw.

We cuss and discuss tractor styles, sizes, HP, implements, 2 vs 4wd, and on and on but frequently don't give examples of the typical run of the mill tasks that might be of interest to someone trying to get a handle on sizing tractors, implements, and tasks.

Again, I honestly believe this post demonstrates what you can do with a CUT of just under 40HP at the PTO at the upper limit of the reasonableness envelope. I don't think many people are doing much more with much less. The brush hog I use is well over 1000 lbs and that tail tends to wag the dog in 2wd on slopes and uneven ground. In 4wd I have much more positive control. I made several passes this afternoon in 2wd and did get some work done but control was marginal at times on uneven and hilly areas. Back into 4wd things were way better. Still if you push
the limits hard enough, even with 4wd you have problems. I recommend making haste slowly while in learning mode (and a good deal of the time thereafter.)

Doing what I did is not for the feint of heart. A more prudent citizen would not drive over such large trees and would back up to the larger ones I drive over. If you push hard enough then stuff happens more often. I had an opening "wind wing" window open up and hit a tree once shattering it into thousands of little cubes (last year.) Today I knocked one of those completely off the tractor without breaking it! Now I need to order the custom fasteners to reinstall it.

An important caveat: Do not try this kind of aggressive mowing with a little light duty brush hog, even if it is painted green.

Pat

Attachments

• Stump and shoe.jpg
    Stump and shoe.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Raised Brush hog.jpg
    Raised Brush hog.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Cleared area.jpg
    Cleared area.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 800
  • Calves.jpg
    Calves.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
   / Tree hogging with a CUT #2  
I've no trouble believing you. I mow stuff not much smaller with a b3030 and a woods bb60 with a slip clutch. Love the slip clutch on on the brush hog.

Though I mow the saplings all the way to the ground. I'll have to take a picture, but with the right angle I can mow the forest floor to fine mulch.

/ Tree hogging with a CUT #3  
oh I do have to order a new tail wheel assemply. Amazing how much you can bend really solid 1/2 inch steel. I've no regrets, it really gave it's all - one tree just didn't bend when I tried to push it over.

It really does speak well of woods, I have to say.

On a related note, a good brush hog is a mighty fine brush and slash chipper, but the chips kinda distribute themselves... widely, randomly, and quickly.

/ Tree hogging with a CUT #4  
I used to do the same thing on a smaller scale with my Ford 1100. Brush higher than I could see while standing on the steps and mowing over anything that it would drive over. The JD has tackled some pretty nasty stuff on it's own also, but the Ford 7710 with the ditch mower is the one I like the best for tackling stuff meaner than a snake, as I don't have to abuse the tractor with it. I just park the tractor and clear everything in a 25 foot radius from the rear of the tractor, and then move the tractor to a new spot and start again. Same principle, but I can even trim limbs that overhang the area I want cleared. Plus, a flail mower with hammer knives is more forgiving to the tractor than a bush hog.
David from jax
(We really need a dozer or a mulcher!!)

/ Tree hogging with a CUT
Charlesaf3 said:
Though I mow the saplings all the way to the ground. I'll have to take a picture, but with the right angle I can mow the forest floor to fine mulch.

Charles, You must have less clearance than I have. I can't mow things off quite low enough to be really safe to drive over, hence the leaving them a bit higher. I'm envious of your ability to get right down to the nitty gritty. Maybe I will have to lower the rear of the mower by raising the tail wheel to see how low I can go.

So I recently put on new blades and slung one off when the bolt either backed off or broke. I found it but not the bolt. The remaining bolt was toast so I bought a pair (almost $40 with freight.) I tightened them with 3/4 drive breaker bar (HF socket set) with 3 ft cheater and they loosened and I nearly lost one even though I had tack welded the nuts to the bolts. I re tightened the bolts with a longer cheater and welded the whoopee out of them (DC+). Hopefully I'll get some good service out of this arrangement.

Pat

/ Tree hogging with a CUT #6  
had you tried loctite on the bolts?

I'd think you could do the same thing I can with your mower. First I do a rough cut with the deck up - nice to find the rocks and stumps with the eyes, not the blade.

Second, I drop the 3pt all the way so the tractor end of the mower is riding on the ground, and the tail wheel holds up the rear of the brush hog. I then back over whatever I'm mulching to the ground - forward will bury the mower.

Basically the wheel side of the mower cuts everything first at 4" or so, and then the tractor side is cutting barely above the ground. (sometimes not - good to have the hand on the 3 pt for when the ground DOES get cut.)

Sorry for the lack of pictures.

I go slow, and this basically mulches everything above a half inch or so. It's amazing.

Charles, I will try your technique. Thanks for the description. I don't think it is likely that I will use it for extended sessions. I don't think I would be able to back up for hours at a time due to comfort/human factors. If I lower my mower and let the weight rest on the ground I have to be in very heavy grass or I plow two furrows in the dirt. Turns are especially destructive to the ground so it is better to lift the mower if turning much.

With the bolts welded, securely I hope, maybe things will stay put together. I have no stumps sticking up that I didn't create with the brush hog and I only have rocks in relatively well defined areas.

The new nuts were castellated and the bolts cross drilled at two depths for a cotter key- B U T - nothing lined up. These new bolts were not the same as the original ones and I suspect the supplier sent what they considered a suitable substitute. If it works now then no harm, no foul.

Thanks again for the usage tip.

Pat

North Dakota said:
:eek: Those aren't work shoes :p

Right again! Of course driving a cab tractor is not all that foot endangering. Oh, and for what it is worth... Do not be too hasty to judge footwear. I have a catalog with ANSI approved steel toed tennis shoes that look a lot like what I was wearing. (Although those were Wal*Mart $9.99 with velcro instead of laces.)

Pat