Dealer Pains !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Dealer Pains !! #1  

winger

Here's the story. Went to my Indiana Kubota dealer 2 weeks ago and I fell in love with the 2410 model w/FEL w/60inMMM. I signed up also for front/rear blade and LandPride box scraper. The price fit my budget. So I put 1/2 of the 10% down-payment that day. There were 3 2410's to choose from. Anyway, we both wrote down the serial # of this unit because I really wanted this particular unit. Looked cleaner all around and had the turf tires I wanted. The new white stickers were still on the tires too! I thought awesome! So all I was waiting for was the box scraper to come in. Monday I couldn't stay away, I had to visit my baby! So I went ahead and wrote a check for the balance of 10% down and filled/signed all that paper work. Dealer called and said it would be ready Friday and want to deliever it, but I said just wait till next week because I'm going to clean out the garage this week and make dollies. So I thought I would stop by the dealer on Sat and get some of frt/rear blade measurements for the dollies. Anyway, the dealership owner said there's your tractor. And I'm like that's not my tractor doesn't even have the correct tires!! He said he's pretty sure it is. Heavy Sigh!! I left in a flurry. I'm thinking what the hell is going on here. So I went to the Demo days in a near-by town to confront the salesman and asked him what's going on. He said how's your tractor? I told him that there must be a big mistake! I told him the story and he said "Oh, there was something wrong with the axle so I switched units for you". I said, "It doesn't have the correct tires". He said we'll just swap them. I said just hold on a minute, we need to get this straightened out. Why didn't any body call me? He said "Oh nobody did". Man, I'm starting to smell something fishy. I said well I won't accept the tractor that's back at the dealership! I said I want the unit I picked out! He said he'd go back after Demo Days and look for some paper work. Yeah right! The unit in the garage they want me to have has slight wear on it and I'm thinking they just want to do the FIFO thing. (First in First out) for their tractors. Man, I'm upset. I can't believe they were gonna drop off this tractor Friday--a completely different unit and with completely different tires to boot. I will be calling them first thing Monday am!! In the mean time what do I do? Do I call the Kubota Corporate Customer Service ph#? Anybody know that phone #??? Is there a Kubota complaint dept I can call? I might consider the 2nd unit they have on the lot, but this 3rd unit they were gonna drop off I DO NOT WANT !! You would think this dealership would have the courtesy to call me about the situation. I'm angry/frustrated/piss@d Help.....please some one please help. DO I have to accept this tractor because I already filled out all the paper work! I wish I could turn back the clock one week. Sorry about the long story. HELP! HELP! HELP! Steve Carver.......any advice....??

/ Dealer Pains !! #2  
winger,
I have never been in a situation such as you desribe, but as a normal joe consumer, I see no reason that you would be required to accept the wrong tractor or any tractor, just because you filled out the paper work.
I would definatley seek the advice of Steve Carver, from everything I have read, he seems to a honest, straight shooter and could give you the low down on Kubota dealer ethics.
I tend to think that if it was me, and I still were willing to do business with this dealer, I would adimanttly request and fully expect one heck of a better deal on ANY tractor you chose to buy from them, merely on the grounds of what I consider some unethical business practices. If they can't or are unwilling to make you "THE CUSTOMER" happy, than I would go make friends with another dealer.
Irrellevent of you decision to stay or leave, I would definatetly have a discussion with the owner of this dealership in a gentlemanly and business like manor. By that I mean no screaming, name calling type stuff and let him know how you have been treated by those that directly represent him, his name and his dealership.
Years ago, a person educated me on the rule of 250, meaning that every person on average, knows 250 people. So, if you tell 250 people and only some of those 250 people tell some of the 250 people they know, etc. etc.
Well it wouldn't take long for a bad reputation to develop and get around.
That is just my 2 cents worth.

/ Dealer Pains !! #3  
What serial# is on the Bill of Sale? That is the tractor you made the deal on. If he can not produce that tractor,I'd say no deal!!

/ Dealer Pains !! #4  
So what happened to the original tractor you picked out? Was it no longer on the lot? If it had a bad axle then it should be in the shop (although I would be surprised if they found a bad axle on the lot). If it’s not in the shop, then the dealer was probably lying and it was likely sold to someone else. If the tractor was sold to someone else, it would have been unfortunate but forgivable if the dealer would have been upfront with you. However, if the dealer is lying…that is not forgivable in my view. In that case, I would go elsewhere as I don’t like any business person who lies to me or try’s to “outsmart” me. Mistakes happen all the time and are forgivable. Lying happens by design and is not forgivable (at least when buying a tractor).

In any case, dealers get new tractors in all the time. If the original tractor is in the shop, why don't you ask him when the next shipment will come in? I would suggest you be upfront with the dealer and indicate that you are very particular. A $15K+ purchase is a lot of money and you have a right to ask them to spend a little more effort to make you happy. Otherwise, ask for your deposit back. That will certainly “motivate” them to find a solution.

/ Dealer Pains !! #5  
winger,
seems to me if you "signed all that paperwork" then the serial number is on it. Your receipt for the original deposit should have it too. If it's gone, such as sold to another person, then don't accept what you don't want. Don't take the "next best" on the lot. Sounds like a fishy deal to me.

/ Dealer Pains !!
Mark, thanks for your advice. We'll see how this turns out. I forgot to mention I'll be missing overtime to get this settled. Not to mention the drive time, gas, etc. dealer is 45 minutes away. Seems like he should meet me 1/2 way! Laughing out loud NOT. I just think its poor business ethics! Question is what if he says that I made a deal? Guess its time to get a lawyer I guess.........maybe some local press too!

/ Dealer Pains !!
thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've been around and I'm not stupid! Something is not quit right. How could they deliver a unit to me with the wrong set of tires as well???? Wow, some dealer huh? I know we are all human. I make mistakes too. I'll let you all know how it turns out.........again thanks for replying.

/ Dealer Pains !!
Its sitting on the lot as if it weren't even moved! One would think if it has a "bad" axle it would be in the shop getting attended too. Somethings fishy here. and people wonder why the distrust with dealers comes in. But thats another topic! Why can't everyone be like Steve Carver......!!

/ Dealer Pains !!
Well, first off I have this long yellow carbon copy piece of paper that looks official from Kubota. And no.....the serial #'s are not on there, but the qty, make, model is on there. There is a column for Serial #'s but none are written down. I guess that should be filled in(?) Is this really the final paper-work...? I'm just having a "peachy" weekend....

/ Dealer Pains !! #10  
winger,
Consider calling the dealership first. Don't ask to speak to your salesman yet. Check to see if the owner is going to be on the premises at the time you are going to be there.
Go right to the top dog. I have found that the chain of command "most time"only works to benefit them.

One evening, many years ago, I walked out of the apartment building where I lived to go pick up my son for the weekend, only to find a man and his 2 teenage sons waiting by a ramp truck parked behind my Ford Bronco II, they informed me that they were here to reposes it for lack of payment. They had all the proper and official paper work to do just that. I also had all the proper paper work to prove that that my loan was paid to date. Unfortunatley with the bank having more weight than I, they had to take it. Boy was I P***ed off.
I went right inside and called the president of the bank at his house and firmly but respectively discussed the matter with him. They returned the vehicle the next morning with an apology.
It turned out that the man who was in charge of the loan had been accidently posting my payments to somebody elses loan. He was either relocated to another branch or fired, for I never saw him again. It seems that the bank president did not like being bothered at home on a friday evening by a very disgruntled customer.
Now I am not saying that you should try to have this salesman fired. It is merely one of my examples of why "at times" I have found that it pays to go right to the top.
You may well find that the dealership, whether it be through the salesman or the owner is ready and willing to make this right by you. Give them the chance to and see what your gut instinct tells you. Remember you hold the ultimate power, that power being the right to walk out there door with your deposit in hand.
Boy, I sure got long winded on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.