Hi, I am new here

/ Hi, I am new here #1  

miestro_jerry

Hi to everyone,

My name is Jerry Smith and I have a 1984 JD 950 Compact tractor. I use it to tend about 12 acres of my farm, along with mowing my yard, with is about 2 plus acres. I am located in Eastern Ohio, in a village name Somerton. We are about 30 to 40 minutes west of Wheeling WV. Some I am in BFE Ohio, actually about 20 miles south of BFE as the crow flies. :)

I am having trouble with finding a 2 row corn planter that is priced right and that I don't have to drive across 5 states to pickup.

Jerry

/ Hi, I am new here #2  
First welcome. As to what your looking for I don't have an answer. You might try posting in one of the implement or JD forums. Good luck.

Richard

/ Hi, I am new here #3  
Welcome to TBN... also, try Craig's List for your area...lots of old equipment shows up there.

/ Hi, I am new here #4  
Welcome to TBN.

First question would be, what do you consider "priced right"?

I MIGHT be able to help you if YOUR idea of priced right is close to MY idea of priced right.

/ Hi, I am new here #5  
Jerry,

Welcome to TBN. Funny that you cannot find what you are looking for. When I do nationwide searches for implements, they all seem to be either in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I'm in Texas, so it's not a savings for me to drive that far to get anything, but sometimes it's sure tempting.

You probably picked the wrong time of the year for finding this, but I've found that if I'm patient and I keep an eye on the local classifieds, I usually find what I'm looking for a a good price. Classifieds - Classified Ads - Advertising - Used Cars - New Cars - Homes for Sale - Real Estate craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices have all worked for me. With ebay, I've found that doing a search in all of ebay is where you find the deals.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Hi, I am new here #6  
my dealer acctually has one that is in AWESOME shape behind a brand new 5103 on the lot. theyve been using it as the demo tractor and he took it and the planter home to plant a small garden. it's a 2 row corn planter, just as you described you were interested in. what he wants for it, i don't know but i can find out. i know being in SC is far away, but maybe he can workout shipping costs or something. wouldnt hurt to ask anyways, right?

/ Hi, I am new here #7  
How much are you actually planting? 12-acres. If so then stop here. The small walk behind planters work nice in clean loose soil. They plant as fast as you can walk. A lot cheaper to.

/ Hi, I am new here #8  
If Pa is not to far to drive take a look at the Lancaster Farming Mailbox Markets. There are always corn planters listed for sale from private individuals.
They have a website: Lancaster Farming | Lancaster Farming. You have to subscribe to the weekly magazine to get the info but it's well worth the money if you have any interest at all in farming.

/ Hi, I am new here #9  
Hi Jerry,

I can feel your frustration. It's the wrong time of the year to be looking for a planter at the right price. They are out there but you'll pay a premium right now for something that is field ready. Oh you can find them for $200-$250 dollars but you'll spend four times that in parts getting them ready to go.

I found a JD 290 pull type that had been used and treated right. All I needed to do was lube it up and go to work. I paid $435 for it at the consignment sale in Kenton last year and felt it was a fair price seeing how as I had to outbid several Amish fellows. Between them and the scrap dealers there just aren't any cheap deals anymore.

Maybe you can hand plant this year then hit the auctions this fall and find what you're looking for.

/ Hi, I am new here #10  
For 2-row planters, I would look for one like that old JD model 290, or the 3 pt version JD model 246. These predate the model 71's by a few decades and are a little harder to find in good shape, but usually have on-row granular fertilizer application capability. They also use the same seed plates as the 71's, and parts can be found without much trouble. Applying fertilizer on the rows lets you use about 1/2 what would be required broadcasting to get the same effect on yield. 2-row 71's are virtually non-existant with fertilizer attachments, as most of them are fabricated by cutting down larger row units which typically use liquid fertilizer (not practical for small 2-row applications). You can add a granular fertilizer attachment to a 71 but I hear that costs over a grand. I have used an old JD 246 for the past 20 years which I paid $175 bucks for and it has done a great job every year. All I have done to it is lubed it prior, and made sure to clean it good after each use (especially the fertilizer hoppers). You may have to search longer to locate a good 246 or 290, but in addition to around 1/2 the initial cost for the planter, your cost for fertilizer will be about 1/2 what it would be if you planted with a model 71, and broadcast seperately.