2000 EF4

/ 2000 EF4 #1  

raymond

I am having a problem with my EF 4, it has a lack of power at the wheels, it just will not spin the tires when I try to push any amount of dirt. I wondered if anyone might know why?

/ 2000 EF4 #2  
raymond,

Mark Mchalkey is the resident EFXXX guy, I'm sure he will wonder by sooner or later. If it's urgent you can send him a private email, I'm pretty sure he won't mind. If he does tell him Muhammad sent you./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Al

/ 2000 EF4 #3  
Raymond -

There's several things to consider with this issue. Since pushing dirt is an exercise loaded with variables, let's try to eliminate a few of them by trying something different. What happens when you try to push into a pile of settled topsoil or gravel? Can you fill the bucket before it stops?

As for spinning the tires, remember that spinning the tires is what you're trying to avoid. The EarthForce machines aren't like tractors. They're full-time 4WD and have a very different weight distribution than typical tractors. Depending on the soil conditions, it's quite possible that it will have more traction than the engine/transmission is capable of exceeding. At least that what I've found with my EF-5. Despite this occasionally being the case, it's always accomplishing a lot more work, or exerting a lot more force than my Kubota L4310 was capable of producing. What I'm saying is that not being able to spin the wheels is decieving as an indicator.

On the other hand, if you can't fill the bucket with gravel, given decent soil conditions, it may be that it's not producing the power it should. The EarthForce machines use a hydrostatic transmission by Rexroth with a control system called "automotive control". What it basically means is that the output of the pump is determined by engine speed and back pressure from the motor, while output from the motor is controlled by its internal pressure. The net effect is that maximum torque is only produced at maximum engine speed. So if, for some reason, the engine isn't producing rated rpm, you won't get maximum torque from the transmission. There's also the possibility that the relief valves in the motor and/or pump aren't set properly, but that will require dealer servicing to fix.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you find out.

/ 2000 EF4 #4  
Could this be? EarthForce owner #2?! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 2000 EF4 #5  
Next thing you know they'll want their own forum.

TBone

/ 2000 EF4 #6  
Wouldn't that be a hoot! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 2000 EF4 #7  
Muhammad - Can we EarthForce owners have our own forum now?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 2000 EF4 #8  
Giving the EarthForce and the PowerTrac people thier own forums might not be a bad idea. It seems that most of the posts in the Other Brands forum deal with those two brands. They seem to be gaining popularity fast, or maybe thier owners just like to talk a lot./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ 2000 EF4 #9  
EdKing - Excellent idea! Those PowerTrac guys are a long-winded bunch. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 2000 EF4
I should have explained better, I can barely get the bucket full before the tires stop turning even if I am at full throttle. I am thinking maybe the hydraulic filters need to be changed it has about 103 hours on it. I tried it out again tonight and I think if I get that fixed it will be a great machine! I guess I should start working on my silver picture now.