Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain?

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #21  
sandman2234 said:
how expensive it is to replace it.
David from jax

didnt used to be! :eek: (oil price today +$126/bb)

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #22  
pitt_md said:
I changed my hydraulic oil last weekend on my MX5000. It has the mechanical shuttle tranny. The dealer said wait until 100 hours but I couldn't stand it when I hit 65 hours I had to change it. When I drained all 46.5 quarts from the 5 different drains it looked like it was new. $189.00 for oil and filter. :rolleyes:
Not so expensive if you filter it and add it 10% to your diesel fuel. I would be pleased to take it if we were closer.
larry

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #23  
The 580 holds 15 gallon in the tank and 2-3ish gallon per large cylinder plus a little roaming around in the hoses. If you spring a leak, it's a mess.

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #24  
SPYDERLK said:
Not so expensive if you filter it and add it 10% to your diesel fuel. I would be pleased to take it if we were closer.
larry

Larry, you beat me to it! I was going to tell him to add 1 gal in each 5 gal can of diesel.

jb

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #25  
Waste oil in my expensive injection pump? no thanks.. if I want to destroy the pump.. I can just pour sand in it and make it fail immediatly, and not wait for it to fail slowly later on...

soundguy

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #26  
Soundguy said:
Waste oil in my expensive injection pump? no thanks.. if I want to destroy the pump.. I can just pour sand in it and make it fail immediatly, and not wait for it to fail slowly later on...

soundguy
Pour sand in it if you want, but you can get a lot more out of it without that additive as it fails slowly over the course of 20 or 30 yrs normal life.
larry

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #27  
SPYDERLK said:
Pour sand in it if you want, but you can get a lot more out of it without that additive as it fails slowly over the course of 20 or 30 yrs normal life.
larry

If your injection pumps are only lasting 20-30 ys.. and you consider that normal life.. then I'd quit using the waste oil in them.

I mostly dink with antiques... I see plenty of diesels with non rebuilt pumps.. the pump on my 5000 is over 30ys old... looks to be doing fine too.. no over fueling.. starts easy.. cutoff works good.. etc. Probably because i don't contaminate it with heavy metals and soots.. you know.. things the injectors weren't made to handle... vs clean fuel... the stuff they were made to handle.

soundguy

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #28  
Soundguy said:
If your injection pumps are only lasting 20-30 ys.. and you consider that normal life.. then I'd quit using the waste oil in them.

I mostly dink with antiques... I see plenty of diesels with non rebuilt pumps.. the pump on my 5000 is over 30ys old... looks to be doing fine too.. no over fueling.. starts easy.. cutoff works good.. etc. Probably because i don't contaminate it with heavy metals and soots.. you know.. things the injectors weren't made to handle... vs clean fuel... the stuff they were made to handle.

soundguy
Actually, probably not. Probably because you dont put on a lot of hours. Not sure where youre sourcing the soot, and heavy metal of any appreciable size has already been filtered out or has settled in stagnant areas. We are talking low contaminant content and not of an abrasive nature.
larry

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #29  
Soot is abrasive. Heavy metals are present from engine component wear.. this can all be found in waste oil. just look at a used oil report.

While I may not personally put loads of hours on my antiques.. they sure have had loads of hours put on them by the previous owners. Hours of use is hours of use, age is age.

I don't see any new vehicles or machines that instruct you to use your waste crankcase oil by adding it to your engine. ( And I'm not talking large marine vessle's either... )

soundguy

soundguy

/ Ever feel like your tossing money down the drain? #30  
I'm with Chris on this. I won't be adding it to the fuel. But, as much as I use a chainsaw, it will see the chain oiler. I've put a couple of gallons of "barely used" hydraulic oil through the saws in the past 18 months and it works fine. The saws stay a lot cleaner than when I use regular bar oil and the chains seem to hold their tension longer.

I'm a little leery of using the used crankcase oil in the good saws, but it's good enough for the clunkers and the Craftsman. They usually die of something else before the cc oil wrecks the chain oiler. In fact, I can't remember a saw that was used regularly ever losing a chain oiler even with a steady cc oil diet. Sitting unused for a year or two is what wrecks them.
Bob