Hi. I am also new!! Grease question

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #1  

Propjob

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
Just purchased a new 2305 with loader, to work around the house and other properties I have. Within 10 hours I have christened the back end of my Toyota Pickup. *&))$## :( that was the forward pedal and not the Brake!!!
Great to be here and hope to gather wisdom and sense as time goes on. I have had tractors all my life starting with a 2 wheeled Gravely years ago. My question is this; Do these machines always fling grease when their new? I've ruined a couple pairs of Jeans, and the grease just keeps on flying. I suspect its coming from the 200cx loader. Is this an anomolie or what I am in for from now on? JIM

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #2  
Hi from VA. Probably depends on how much and what kind of grease was used on the grease fittings. I don't usually get any grease on me using my Kioti CK30HST and I grease it regularly. There is grease coming out of all the joints but it doesn't go anywhere.

We also had a 1.5 hp Gravely, in the 50's. Complete with sickle bar mower, plow, and disk. When you plowed you added your own 1.5 hp to that of the Gravely's.

Mike

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #3  
Propjob:

Welcome to TBN :D! I wear my grease well, but usually because I get up close and personal with my tractor. I have not been "hit" with flying grease yet and I grease my FEL regularly. Too bad about the "christening" :eek: of your P/U. It's all part of the "learning curve". My curve still has not completely "flattened out" yet :rolleyes:. Jay :)

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #4  
I get grease from the loader onto my clothing and arms when working in the woods or refueling through the hood mounted filler. The woods work involves the branches of trees dragging over the greasy joints and then dropping grease on me. A paint brush effect that is made worse by my habit of daily greasing to the point of probably being excessive. Grease is cheap.

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #5  
Is it grease or could it be hydraulic oil leaking from a loose fitting or hose?

You shouldn't get grease on you from sitting in the seat operating your tractor.

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #6  
Hi Jim and welcome.
No flying grease here, but I manage to get plenty on myself while doing the greasing. Just can't avoid it somehow? One thing I frequently do is grab the the loader arm as I mount the tractor. Of course there is grease in that pivot on top, and sure as heck I'll get it on my hand or glove and spread it to my steering wheel and shift levers.
LOL ... I do that all the time.

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #7  
A trick to remove (before laundering) grease spots on your clothes is to rub Crisco or whatever other brand of shortening you have around into the spot.

Or don't wear clothes. :D

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #8  
If you are getting that much grease...must be over greasing!!

There are some things you can overdo.!! :d

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question #9  
Since your equipment is new, I'd say something is wrong if you're getting grease on you while using the loader. Its possible one or more grease seals were not tight from the factory, or somebody pumped in too much high pressure grease and blew out some seals. I purchased a new tractor and loader as well as a new backhoe and other attachments and never did any of my equipment fling grease. I may have brushed my clothing across greasy areas of the tractor, but that's it.

Its not uncommon for brand new equipment to have some problems. If the grease seals are blown out, you'd want to have someone look at that before you start to damage the hinges that the grease is protecting. Since the equipment is new to you, you may not notice squeeks and chattering that could indicate something is wrong. So it would be best to have a professional look over your equipment. You can ask them to show you how to maintain your equipment and what to look for in the future.

/ Hi. I am also new!! Grease question
Thanks all; I am going to check the seals. I talked to the dealer yesterday, and he also believes it may be the fact that I have been working in the brush. He did say that his service dept. does give a healthy dose of grease on prep. As to the clothing, well; that cost me a new washer and drier for the wife, and it did do a remarkable job, however, I'll try the Crisco. This forum is awesome! JIM