Grading rear scrape blade or box blade?

/ rear scrape blade or box blade? #1  

Ol'Dean

Tractor
BX2230
I have a BX 2230. I need to push around and level some dirt piles left over from construction and level some ruts in a road. What's the diff between the two blades?

/ rear scrape blade or box blade? #2  
Ol'Dean, this has been discussed to death on these forums, now I am going to explain it to you in a different manner, and you can prove this to yourself.

Looking at shovels, compare a flat spade, to a square shovel. The square shovel has beveled sides to keep the material being shoveled within the area being scraped. And this is what you are doing with tractor blades, scraping the earth. The flat spade shove will scrape, but some of the material will spill over its edges

Now, imagine a square shovel with teeth on its backside. That is a hand held box blade. A flat spade is a hand held angle blade. Both do different jobs.

/ rear scrape blade or box blade? #3  
Dean,

In my experience, the only thing a rear angle blade will do better than a boxblade is move snow. For grading, leveling, and relocating material the boxblade wins hands down. Bear in mind, the box fills as you drag, so you have to run it at about ground level to your dump spot, but once there you can raise it little by little so spread as you go.

/ rear scrape blade or box blade? #4  
I'll keep it as simple as possible...Box Blade.

/ rear scrape blade or box blade? #5  
Ol'Dean said:
I have a BX 2230. I need to push around and level some dirt piles left over from construction and level some ruts in a road. What's the diff between the two blades?
For your chore, I agree ... the boxblade.
Do you have an fel? Use your bucket at the same time as dragging a load with the boxblade.
When you get to your desired dump area, feather the bucket to dump the load while dragging the boxblade an inch or so off the ground. It will spread it's load and also the fel load. You can get twice as much done each pass.

/ rear scrape blade or box blade? #6  
Rob, you need some air in that tire? Its a long walk back to the barn, and if you break your tractor, your wife wont let you play with hers!!!!

/ rear scrape blade or box blade? #7  
firemanpat2910 said:
Rob, you need some air in that tire? Its a long walk back to the barn, and if you break your tractor, your wife wont let you play with hers!!!!
LOL ... I saw that Pat, but a lot later. Specifically when I viewed the photos at home about 3 days later.
Lucky I made it back alive.:)

/ rear scrape blade or box blade?
Thanks everybody. I haven't been reading this forum long enuf to see the earlier discussions. Seems the box blade is the thing to get. I'm also about to get a post hole digger with a 12" auger to plant the many small trees my wife is accumulating.