What's with Europeans and plowing?

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
If you get bored, go to YouTube and search 'tractor plowing' or even better 'tractor ploughing'.

One thing you will notice is that Europeans seem very into plowing, or 'ploughing' in Britain. It seems like in the US plowing has gotten passe for large farms due to compaction and other issues? In any case, looking at these videos (which are very cool) I've seen some neat stuff:

It looks like they have ploughing contests with these massive Masseys, Fendts etc. And it looks like they attract big crowds too. Do they do this in the US? In the midwest maybe. I'd love to see a plowing contest.

I've seen some strange configurations too. Of course you see these long multi-bottom reversing plows, but on a couple of videos they are also pulling what looks like a disk, or maybe a cultipacker on a long outrigger and at the end of each row, it disconnects and the tractor picks it up when it turns and makes the next pass. They don't even slow down.

There are also some with these multi-bottom plows on the back AND the front! They push the one on the front!

Finally, some of them take it even further....RC! There are quite a few videos of 1/10 scale RC tractors in action... really plowing! One is pulling a water tanker and it pulls up to a pool of water and a boom comes out and lowers into the pool and fills the tank. Then it pulls away and starts spraying water. Again, all in Europe.

Just thought I'd point you guys over to YouTube to look at some of these. Almost all are from Europe. One wonders if they are more 'into' their machines than our farmers over here? I don't know.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #2  
Plowing is required in areas where you have shorter growing seasons. New York is like that also and plowing helps reduce the moisture in the soil as well as warm the soil so that we can plant earlier.

The Europeans do have some great implements though:)

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #3  
Match Ploughing is still done in the US, but on a limited basis. Google World Championship Match Ploughing or one of the "sports" biggest stars, Simon Witty.

It's been a few years, but there's been a World Championship round held in the US.

If it were bigger here, I'd be on the road every weekend, chasing points just like the old days when I spent every weekend on a dirt bike.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #4  
The heavy wet soils are more resistant to wind erosion too so that is another factor.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing?
How are these matches scored? Is it time? Straightness? Style?

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #6  
N80 said:
How are these matches scored? Is it time? Straightness? Style?

All the above.

Contestants have a certain amount of time to complete their "work". There's an accepted method of making the "opening" or beginning furrows. From there, they're scored on straightness, amount of surface residue/sod left showing, and about a dozen other details.

The scoring system is ever-so-slightly less complicated than understanding women, and just a bit more complicated than IRS laws.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #8  
The first time I had heard about these plowing contests was when I looked up a certain brand of plow on the internet. It is European made and VERY expensive. They are apparently the ultimate in plowing workmanship. Unfortunately I can't remember the name. I believe it started with an L. They claim that just about all the winners of one of these contests have used their plow. I wish I could remember the name! I'll bet FarmWithJunk would know.

/ What's with Europeans and plowing? #10  
I just learned of a club in our area where they get together in the fall and plow with antique tractors. I don't believe there is any competion going on just some guys getting together and having a little fun. There was also a garden tractor club that got together just down the road from me and plowed 50 acres last fall. I have talked to the host of the garden tractor club and he has invited me to plow with them with my 755. I may take him up on it.