The delivery: what should I inspect?

/ The delivery: what should I inspect? #1  

Fredartic

Hi, my tractor will be delivery soon. The dealer is far from my house (about 3 hours). I want to know what should I inspect on the tractor before he quit my home?

What are things to try? I'm not familar with all functions on a tractor; I only have rent one few times last summer, I used the backoe and the loader but I don't know mechanic and I don't know how to recognise if all functions are okay.

Please give me tricks to do a good inspection to avoid troubles...

Thanks

/ The delivery: what should I inspect? #3  
Like the other guy asked if it were new or used. Either way they should give you a good run down on it. Where are the filters? Manual and service intervals. Attachments and how to hook or unhook them including the FEL. Safety precautions about slopes or the PTO. Warranty work pick up if something is wrong. Put you in the seat and make you drive it. Don't be afraid to take some time...Warm up and cool down periods. Biodiesel or not. Check all of the hydraulics and electrics with them there. If they didn't give you a hat before see if they have one now.:D

/ The delivery: what should I inspect? #4  
If its a new tractor...there is a checklist that they are supposed to go thru with you...Well, that's the way John Deere does it...:rolleyes:

/ The delivery: what should I inspect? #5  
When the dealer delivered our L3400, they certainly brought their general checklist. What the checklist did not have on it was the tractor model. They brought a 3130 by mistake. Told him it was the wrong tractor, but was willing to take it anyway :)
If you ordered loaded tires, check them--they often swap tires around on tractors if some are to be preloaded/unloaded with fluid.
Check fluids before use.

/ The delivery: what should I inspect? #6  
My tractor was dropped off at a neighbor's farm. I wasn't even there! That was not the dealer's fault, of course.

Checking the tires to see if they are loaded is a good idea. I was told mine were not loaded. About six months later I got quite an unexpected bath when I removed a valve stem.

Crank it up before they leave. Drive it around. Run the hydraulics through their ranges. Then, get off and look for hydraulic leaks.

/ The delivery: what should I inspect? #7  
N80 said:
Checking the tires to see if they are loaded is a good idea. I was told mine were not loaded. About six months later I got quite an unexpected bath when I removed a valve stem.

The very same thing happened to me.

/ The delivery: what should I inspect?
It's a brand new tractor, a cat, I mean a Bobcat CT-122!:)

Thank you very much for your answers.

It will take few days again to get it; the dealer has received the backhoe but he still wait for the tractor from Bobcat, but it's okay for us; we are not ready to work with it. We have to repair our deck (too much snow this winter), start the pool, finish the garage... So, we can wait.

/ The delivery: what should I inspect? #9  
Fredartic said:

It will take few days again to get it; the dealer has received the backhoe but he still wait for the tractor from Bobcat, but it's okay for us; we are not ready to work with it. We have to repair our deck (too much snow this winter), start the pool, finish the garage... So, we can wait.

As others have said they should go over the operation and general maintenance at the very least. When they delivered my new Kubota they spent a couple of hours going over how to do everything and answering all my questions. I asked how the FEL comes on and off and in a couple of minutes it was disconnected. He sure made things look easy. :)

/ The delivery: what should I inspect? #10  
Fredartic said:

Based on another event where a gentleman's bolts on his FEL started to fall off...You might want to take a torque wrench and randomly check any of the bolts that were put on by the local dealer...Ask the delivery person what the torque range is for the particular bolt is and then check it...If you have more than one or two that are out of torque...tell them to take it back and make sure it is ready to go to work...:rolleyes: