pto-HP needed for tiller

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #1  

nickmech

If my Kubota B3030 has 24 hp at the pto, what could happen if I borrow a sicma rototiller that I think is rated 35 hp plus? It is a heavy 60 in. tiller. I don't want to break the machine by overloading the pto rating. Anyone have experience with this?

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #2  
Try it and see if you can lift it. For the tilling you could always remove several rows of tines.:D The tilling will also depend on the type of soil you are working with.:D

Does it have a slip clutch or shear pins?

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #3  
I have a 2520, 20.5 pto HP. Recently I bought a KK gear drive 60 inch tiller. It works fine. Of course, the tractor is hydrostatic. If it was geardrive, I would not be able to go slow enough. The throttle must remain pretty much at PTO speed.

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #4  
I run a 60" tiller on a JD2520 as well. No problems in heavy Ohio clay (no rocks). 1 pass with shoes all the way up. Perfect seed bed.

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #5  
I run a 60 inch KK tiller with my ford 1710 24 HP at PTO with know problems

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #7  
nickmech:

Your B3030 and my "29" are similar in capabilities. I agree with Egon as it relates to the 3PH's ability to lift the tiller as well as the "balance" of the set up. You could always put some weight in your FEL to keep the front down. And as Egon mentionned you can always remove the outer tines if there is insufficient PTO HP. I suspect that you will not have any problems with the simca. You can always till your first pass pretty shallow, but a lot does depend on what you are tilling. Jay

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #8  
In my experience, a minimum of 3.5hp/ft is a good rule of thumb.

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #9  
Chaindriven tillers need less HP than Geardriven tillers...:)

All other things being equal...:D

/ pto-HP needed for tiller #10  
Soil conditions, speed of travel, depth are all big factors.

I have 27 PTO and run a 72" tiller in heavy clay, last summer (read dry hard packed clay) I broke ground with the tines of the box blade digging in several inches. Then on with the tiller and I tilled about 4 inches or so down, then I lowered the tiller all of the way down and my little Kubota never missed a beat. This spring I retilled the garden and it was no problem.

I would go plently wide you can always remove some tines, or make a few passes if needed.

This spring before the clay dried out I tilled some virgin ground and had no problems going down 6-7 inches.

steve