What kind of gravel for driveway?

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I'm about to extend my driveway a bit and would also like to put a fresh load of gravel on the existing drive.

Any thoughts on what kind of gravel I should be asking for to be delivered?

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #3  
Crush and run is just un washed gravel and is more dirt than gravel. I have a 2.5 mile dirt/gravel road I have to maintain and I have used crush and run before. it seems to pack really hard and eventually the gravel in it just sinks in.
I would suggest #57's they are a bit bigger than what is found in the crush and run but it is cleaned and works well. Of course these are all subject to what region you live in.. Crush and run where I live may be totally different where you live...

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #4  
The quality of gravel is not the same in all quarries or areas. Got my best results by asking neighbours to recommend a hauler that they trusted, and knew the area. I was able to use his knowledge to detemine the stone type/size. Took away a lot of the guesswork.

Dennis

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #6  
I'd suggest that you want something that has been crushed, has at least 60% fracture surfaces, is under 3/4 of an inch in size with the finer particles so sized as to give the densest mix possible. [Well Graded]:D :D

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #7  
3/4" Crushed gravel is what I get from the local aggregates. It packs real nicely and since there is no fine sand, when any water puddles it stays clear instead of making mud.

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #8  
Crusher Run is good if you want it to pack down well. No dirt in any I've seen...it is (should be) made from rock that is crushed into all sizes including the fines, which are rock not dirt. It is also called ABC around here- Aggregate Base Coarse. Depending on the quarry it may be available in several different maximum rock sizes. The important part is it is composed of variable sized rock from the maximum all the way down to the fines also known as manufactured sand. This lets it pack well and interlock.
It will however be dusty in dry weather. If you use crushed stone be sure it is mixed size...if all the "rocks" are the same size it will stay loose and if put too deep it will be tough to drive through. I had a site once where they dumped all one size (3/4"?) crushed rock about 6-8" deep, you'd get stuck on level ground in that stuff!

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #9  
Apparently Crush and run is something totally different here in my area. I put down about 30 ton of it last summer and now you can't even see where i put it. It packed super hard and blended into the road. It does puddle up however..

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #10  
scesnick said:
Crush and run is just un washed gravel and is more dirt than gravel. I have a 2.5 mile dirt/gravel road I have to maintain and I have used crush and run before. it seems to pack really hard and eventually the gravel in it just sinks in.
I would suggest #57's they are a bit bigger than what is found in the crush and run but it is cleaned and works well. Of course these are all subject to what region you live in.. Crush and run where I live may be totally different where you live...

I've used both. I used crusher run for my driveway extension (70 tons) and worked well. It packs well, rakes or harrows well, and locks into place with it being a mix of gravel and stone dust. I also use it as a sealing base for my stables prior to putting down mats, saw dust, or stone dust. Some of our stables have a lot of moisture in the bottome and the crusher run helps prevent the moisture from seeping up to the top.

I used #57 (25 tons) for a stall yesterday as a base because it was totally underwater and any type of aggregate would have turn to paste or mud. I needed a firm base prior to putting mats or stone dust down.

Here are some pics of the driveway extension. I can post the stable build up later as I didn't get pics sine it was dark when I finished.

Here is a link to the original dirt removal:

12/22/07 - The combination of dr

I haven't added my pics of the gravel yet so I upload them.

DSC03473.JPG

DSC03488.JPG

DSC03490.JPG

DSC03492.JPG