Seat time finishing up food the plots

/ Seat time finishing up food the plots #21  
EddieWalker said:
What are Brassica's?

Eddie
Last year was my first to plant food plots and I ran late so I planted Brassicas(turnips, kale & rape seed) and buck forage oats. I wanted to plant corn but did not find a planter until November. My plots grew extremely well as I soil tested and did everything recommended, plus I probably had beginner's luck. I planted the oats in strips in the brassicas plots and saw deer after deer walk thru the oats to get to the brassicas. Early on(Oct. & Nov. they really went after the kale and rape; later I could see where they were digging through the snow to get to the turnips. Some of my neighbors plant turnips so the deer may have acquired that taste. I live amongst dairy farms and most deer harvested have corn in them, and wherever corn is standing during the seasons you'll find deer. I have one neighbor who leaves 10-12 acres standing through the winter and it almost always has deer in it Jan.,Feb. and March- It's along side the road I travel every day and I've been impressed with the numbers of deer, turkey, doves I see in the fields during the winter months. Most of the dairy farmers have harvested their fields before the end of November. GOOD LUCK with your plots - I plowed mine yesterday except for one which is still too wet to work.

/ Seat time finishing up food the plots #22  
EddieWalker said:
What are Brassica's?

Eddie

The forage brassicas are a big leafy thing. Supposed to "set" sugars after the first freeze and drive the deer wild. (Barney must have those wild deer and I must have the tame ones!)

All I've ever seen under the snow is field mice ...

/ Seat time finishing up food the plots #23  
Corn is an excellent attractant and provides excellent cover if you can plant enough of it. However it provides zero nutrition to deer. It does provide them energy but no nutritional value. It is like us eating mac and cheese. The problemwith corn is for it to be of much use you have to plant acres and acres of it and if you are trying to provide extra nutrition for your deer it won't help. Also corn is very high maintenance and expensive.

Now soybeans on the other hand not only are an excellent attractant they provide tons of protien. You do need to plant a graze tolerant variety or alot of it as the deer will trash it as soon as it sprouts.

Hondo

/ Seat time finishing up food the plots #24  
The best thing about corn is it will keep a maximum number of deer on your land during daylight hours of gun season. Nothing else is even remotely close to being as effective. It may not be the greatest from a nutrition point of view, but it provides sanctuary and food they need during thier most vulnerable time (GUN SEASON). If you plant soybeans and not corn, but your nieghbor does, that is where they will be untill after dark. With free seed, corn cost me $30/acre this year. Most of my nitrogen comes from clover grown 4 or 5 year previous on same ground and I dont use any herbicides. Certainly corn is by far the best investment I make for venison which comes in at $1.50/lb. My main concern is keeping my family fed with healthy food while spending as little cash as possible. Corn is the key to getting this job done every year. The only reason folks think corn is expensive is they dont realize that maximum yield does not equal maximum attractiveness to deer. In reality, deer are more attracted to lower yielding corn because it contains weeds, giving them the variety they prefer, and sets the ears lower on the stalks providing easier access. This aint that hard to understand but few do. Why would a deer care how big an ear of corn was, or how many bushels an acre produced?

/ Seat time finishing up food the plots #25  
Brassicas are the family of forage plants that include turnips and others. Some are mainly leaves. Easy to grow. Deer work on the leaves first, then turnip bulbs after heavy frosts here in NE PA. We planted strips of turnips, dwark essex rape and seven top turnips last year for the first time in late July/early August. Best season ever. 3 guys shot nice 8's within 150 yds of each other over a 2 day spa. That's phenomenal for our camp. Hope to do it again this year.

/ Seat time finishing up food the plots #26  
I've planted the fall mix from turners seed in breckenridge, tx. It's main ingredients are wheat, turnips, and austrian winter peas. The deer hammered my plots especially the turnips.

I suggest anyone interested in food plots should check out the qdma and their forum, they also have a book out that is extremely helpful.

My place is located in Eastland county, west/central texas.

/ Seat time finishing up food the plots
We finally got our last foodplots in this weekend after all our tractor troubles.

We planted the commercial mix and then hand broadcast in spinach, turnips, and onions.

Just in time for the drought.:eek: