Tires Wider front tires?

/ Wider front tires? #1  

Tororider

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I was wondering if anyone has, or knows if any are available. I am looking for wider industrial front tires. The normal industrial tires, 25x8.5-14.00 tires on 14x6 rims I think, are ok, but dig/sink in pretty good when the ground is at all wet. I am wondering if there are wider, not bigger, tires available anywhere. I would think that as long as the diameter of the wheel is the same it wouldn't matter how wide it is, am I right?

/ Wider front tires? #2  
It depends upon how wide you want to go.

You're probably looking at having to buy new, wider rims to go with them. I'm not sure if you can play with wheel back-spacing like on a jeep or not...

One thing for sure - Wider tires will certainly put more strain on all your front-end components, including your steering (takes more effort to turn them - more resistance, etc).

How much is too much is anyone's guess, but I'm sure that any existing warranty may go right out the window if have durability issues, and your dealer finds you've changed from stock (depending upon dealer, I guess).

I hope that helps

Lunk

/ Wider front tires?
Warranty shouldn't be an issue as there isn't any left. I understand that there will be a bit more resistance but I wouldn't be lifting pushing any more than I am now so I would think that as long as I kept the same ratio with the back tires, it shouldn't add too much wear and tear on the tractor. Someone else let me know if I am wrong here.

I was guessing that I would need new, wider rims so I would need somewhere to buy those too. Any suggestions as to whether this would work or if there is anywhere out there that I can get these would be great.

/ Wider front tires? #4  
A critical consideration will be the old nemesis of "lead" -- the difference in rolling radius between front and rear. Check with Millersburg Tire in Millersburg, Ohio. They claim to be the largest Ag tire dealer in the state and are only about 2 1/2 hours from the state line by Toledo. I don't know if they're on the web or not, but Google does.

/ Wider front tires? #5  
Don't forget on a FWA tractor the diameter of the front tire is matched to the diameter of the back tire. If you go with a tire that's any taller at all you will have to change the back tires to match. Hope that makes sense.

on edit: I think I just said the same thing daTeacha said.

Chris
Hill Farm Boer Goats