TractorJumper

/ TractorJumper #1  

mk62

Tractor
21hp Mitsubishi
Just a little story some of you may relate to: I called the neighbor last Saturday to see if he would be around to pull those fence posts. He said to come on over (across the field). Turns out the tractor was dead...no juice in the battery due to ignition left on (our 3yr old has been known to turn the key to the on position). Anyway, I find I can't open the hood 'cause the FEL is in the way. However, the battery is right behind the front grill so I figure I'll remove the grill. Since my tractor is an older model (20yrs old), I find that two of the four attach screws have stripped heads...so NOW I'm drilling their heads off. Finally the grill's off and I've got the jumper cables rigged to the car...too late, here comes the neighbor ambling across the field to see where I got to. He's just in time to see my whole jury rigged mess...tools, tractor grill in the grass, cables, etc. Rats!!

/ TractorJumper #2  
I have always said that everything happens for a reason. Maybe now is the time to start removing the key before the three yr old gets big enough to start it and gets hurt. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif Also maybe no more embarassing moments /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. Could have save a lot of trouble just hooking the jumpers to the starter selenoid and a good ground. That is most starters are accessable without removing (opening) the hood. Keep /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ing. It's all good.

/ TractorJumper #3  
Your neighbor might have been thinking..look what that poor man has to go thru to start his tractor to help me. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Kinda like me..leave the keys in the pick up and lock the door,than you realize what you have done and search and serach for the spare set,than your better half walks up to you w/the keys from the pick up..come to find out I left the window down and she reach in an unlock the door. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ TractorJumper #4  
<font color=blue>...than your better half walks up to you w/the keys from the pick up..come to find out I left the window down and she reach in an unlock the door. ...</font color=blue>

Thomas...

It sounds like you've got a smart woman there... better hang on to her... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ TractorJumper #5  
Yep.. might have been able to jump off of the starter solonoid. Or if you had the time, possibly a modification like I did. I wired a cigarett lighter port up on my tractor to run 12 volt stuff... rear lights or air pump, etc. It's easy to maye a lighter to lighter jumper cable.. most car supply stores sell them as 'safe' jumper cables. Takes a few minutes longer.. but probably less than drilling screws out...

For that matter.. he might have been able to hook the jumper up to the battery side of the solonoid.. and then used the tractor ignition as normal.. or just charged the battery from there?

Soundguy

/ TractorJumper #6  
Don't feel bad, I was repossessing a car one time and spent twenty minutes with a slim jim on the drivers door, in a very bad neighborhood, with an audience, just to notice the unlocked passenger door once I got in.

/ TractorJumper #8  
Mark,
May be a good time to add remote terminals on the outside of the tractor sheet metal. The kind drag racers use to charge their batteries.

/ TractorJumper #9  
<font color=blue>May be a good time to add remote terminals on the outside of the tractor sheet metal. The kind drag racers use to charge their batteries.</font color=blue>

Might also be able to use something like this. Something tow truck operators use to do jump starts.

SM-1_Jump_Start_Kit.jpg

/ TractorJumper #10  
mike, I found the quick disconnects at my local 4x4 center for $6.95 per pack, it comes with 2 quick connect ends that you can solder onto any battery cables or jumper cables. make for a cheaper fix than buying their ready-made cables. the whole setup took less than 20 minutes to rig onto my jeep, the winch and jumper cables.