How to clean a landscape rake?

/ How to clean a landscape rake? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
After clearing brush and digging out stumps, I usually run over the land with a landscape rake to even things out and to collect debris and small roots. I find that the rake quickly loads up with roots and twigs and I am wondering what techniques the rest of you have figured out to clean the tines. I started just trying to kick the stuff out but graduated to using a five foot copper pipe that I use to push the material down. It takes about 5 minutes to clean the thing and obviously requires getting off the tractor. Photo shows the state of the loaded rake and the cleaning tool propped against it.

Does anyone have a better system/method for keeping the rake clean while doing this sort of work?

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 638
   / How to clean a landscape rake? #2  
You need to make a hydraulically operated comb to clean it, Just raise the rake-operate the remote lever to push the comb down through the rake tines an BadaBing...all clear!

Sounds like a good job for Rob (3RRL):D

/ How to clean a landscape rake? #3  
Islandtractor,

WHAT THE HECK DO YOU HAVE THERE?!?! :eek: I wish I had an answer for your mess. I have only had my rake for a little over a week now and I don't like what I see with your mess. I hope mine doesn't do that! Wow! Have you tried empting the rake out sooner just by raising the 3pt rake or are you doing that? Very interesting photos and I hope someone has some answers for you as I am sure I will end up with the same type of mess as you.

Ray

/ How to clean a landscape rake? #4  
Island:

Make a comb that you can back the rake up to and then raise the 3pt to clean it.

Steve

/ How to clean a landscape rake? #5  
SFish said:
Island:

Make a comb that you can back the rake up to and then raise the 3pt to clean it.

Steve

Steve,

That is a good idea. Island, take some pics when you get it done! :)

/ How to clean a landscape rake? #6  
Island,

When mine looks like that I will get real close to the brush pile and then back up into it. The brush pile will usually comb most if not all of it from the rake. When you are raking roots, limbs, and twigs try removing your wheels. I don't have wheels on mine, so that works for me.

/ How to clean a landscape rake? #7  
GIJOE said:
Island,

When mine looks like that I will get real close to the brush pile and then back up into it. The brush pile will usually comb most if not all of it from the rake. When you are raking roots, limbs, and twigs try removing your wheels. I don't have wheels on mine, so that works for me.
u

You beat me to it! I also clean my rake by backing up. I will say that I have never come close to loading it up that bad though.

/ How to clean a landscape rake? #8  
I think you can help yourself by setting up the equipment better.

Take the wheels off until you have done the clean up and roughing it in. Then put on the wheels and that will help final passes.

My thought is that the wheels are not letting the rake press down hard enough so the debris is not staying in front.

jb

/ How to clean a landscape rake? #9  
Ridgewalker said:
u

You beat me to it! I also clean my rake by backing up. I will say that I have never come close to loading it up that bad though.

Do you have wheels on your Ridge? One could back up to a pile but lift the wheels over the pile before lowering and pushing the stuff off the tines. The pile would need to be small I guess. I don't know about Island, but I wouldn't want to take the wheels off unless I had to.

/ How to clean a landscape rake?
Thanks guys,

To answer some of the questions and proposed solutions:

Yes, the rake loads up like this regularly when I use it after first bush hogging (or flail cutting) in areas that have a lot of bull briar. The material is mostly roots/canes that are fairly close to the surface and are ripped up when I try to smooth out ground following stump digging or simply ripping out saplings.

I find it is more time efficient to simply let the rake load up than to stop every few minutes to kick out a few roots/canes. As I noted, I'd guess it takes about 5 minutes to clean after doing an area about 1/8 to 1/4 acre. I still have at least another 10 acres to go so would love a more efficient method of cleaning.

Believe me I've wondered about why no one has developed a mechanical or hydraulic comb!:D Where's 3RRL when you need him? I have rear remotes so I just need drawings and instructions! I imagine that most people don't use their rakes primarily for this sort of clearing and that it is not a big enough issue for anyone to have gotten mechanically creative yet.

John Bud's suggestion to remove the wheels is something I could try. I don't know that it will prevent the rake from loading up though as I have the wheels and 3pt toplink set up so the rake does allow the tines at least an inch of penetration and the front is tipped down so the rake doesn't "scoop" too much. Should I try the opposite and put the rake in a more aggressive posture by lengthening the toplink? I did not take a before photo of the area I raked but you don't see this debris on the surface. It is 90% subsurface roots/canes. If the tines dug in further I'd be moving more dirt than I really want to and I believe that the roots/canes would simply migrate up the rake anyway. It looks like a basket weave when fully loaded and when the roots get all stacked up it really takes some force to get them out.

If I do remove the wheels then I can try the suggestion several of you made regarding backing into a brush pile and scraping it off. I'll give that a try. I am not doing fine finish grading so the wheels are not really critical for me. I got the rake used and it came with wheels.

Thanks again.