Backhoe hydraulic pistons/shafts on my backhoe

/ hydraulic pistons/shafts on my backhoe #1  

bx24d

Silver Member
I decided to grease all the backhoe zerks on my Kubota bx24 TLB the other day and noticed the stainless steel pistons/shafts on the backhoe were a little dry looking. Hadn't used the backhoe sine last fall and it was not on during the recent 100 hour service at the dealer. Decided to apply a small dab of the grease I used for the fittings and smearedit on with a cloth. A few days, later, there is a layer of dust/debris on the shafts. Did I make a mistake in "oiling the shafts"? Should I clean them now? What is the usual maintenance of these?

/ hydraulic pistons/shafts on my backhoe #2  
The rods are chromed. Clean them before use. Greasing them is a good idea for long term storage, but clean them before use. All those little dust particles are an abrasive which if they get past the wiper may damage your seals.

As far as maintenance on a rod, just grease it up for long term storage, clean it before use, and that's it.

/ hydraulic pistons/shafts on my backhoe #3  
I keep a spray can of white lithium grease in the tubular instruction book container and spray the chrome areas with that every time i remember.

Mike

/ hydraulic pistons/shafts on my backhoe #4  
Wayne County Hose said:
The rods are chromed. Clean them before use. Greasing them is a good idea for long term storage, but clean them before use. All those little dust particles are an abrasive which if they get past the wiper may damage your seals.

As far as maintenance on a rod, just grease it up for long term storage, clean it before use, and that's it.

When I paint, I HATE silicone sprays. But, for protecting metal, they do work well and don't attract / hold dirt and grit. You may want to try that instead of the old standby of grease. Less mess - just a spray and done. But, if you are ever going to paint any thing anywhere close to where you spray --> don't use it.

jb