Security & Theft Securing tractor from theft

/ Securing tractor from theft #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I have a small ranch with no infrastructure 70 miles from my resident. I get there every week, 2-3 days at a time. I have a large 120hp tractor there, and stealing it...they would need to work at it. But, I'm fixing to buy a 50-70hp tractor, and will at times have to leave out there.

How best to secure, or disable from starting. As most probably know, many of these tractors can be started with a screwdriver. And keys...one key fits all it seems as well.

Ideas to deter theft?

/ Securing tractor from theft #2  
jcummins said:
I have a small ranch with no infrastructure 70 miles from my resident. I get there every week, 2-3 days at a time. I have a large 120hp tractor there, and stealing it...they would need to work at it. But, I'm fixing to buy a 50-70hp tractor, and will at times have to leave out there.

How best to secure, or disable from starting. As most probably know, many of these tractors can be started with a screwdriver. And keys...one key fits all it seems as well.

Ideas to deter theft?

You could do something simple like removing one or both of the front wheels and taking them with you. That would deter the kids.

If a pro wants your tractor, it's his. No matter what you do all he needs is a tilt bed car hauler with a stout winch to drag your tractor onto the hauler.

/ Securing tractor from theft #3  
Turn the front wheels hard left or hard right and chain the steering wheel there. It will at least be inconvenient to steal. Like flusher said, you can't stop the determined ones. Flusher's idea is more secure.

Seems you'll probably have to decide how much peace of mind you want versus how much inconvenience.

/ Securing tractor from theft #4  
jcummins said:
I'm fixing to buy a 50-70hp tractor, and will at times have to leave out there.

Check if your tractor will fit into a shipping container. If it will, then you could buy one and use it to store your tractor+tools+etc until you are living fulltime on your property.

/ Securing tractor from theft #5  
If they want it they will take it. You should do a search through the site to see some ideas, there are really not that many as these tractors are simple and keys universal.

IMO Out of sight is the first line of defense, then I would back it up with a security camera so at least you have a fighting chance of getting it back if it is stolen...

/ Securing tractor from theft #6  
Id take off the front wheels and put a GPS tracking device on it in case the bad guys are determined and bring their own wheels.

/ Securing tractor from theft #7  
One of the dealerships I went to visit and try out their tractors had taken a fuse of the starting system out so that the tractor could not start without it in. It was a simple matter to put it back in and yet not a noticeable thing as to why the engine wouldn't run. That along with chaining the steering wheel (as mentioned) or removing the front wheels might be deter folks enough.

/ Securing tractor from theft #8  
My thought is, if a tractor has a FEL, put it into the full dump position, resting on the ground. Disable the starting system, as pax said. Chain steering wheel if you have one bolt cutters or a torch won't touch. Make sure your insurance is paid up. You might also remove the seat.

/ Securing tractor from theft #9  
I intentionally blew the 10amp start circuit fuse. I would place this blown fuse while the tractor is parked, swap in a good on when when I was ready to use the tractor.

Recently a buddy of mine wired in a relay into the start circuit so that the headlights have to be on high beam before it will start. Like other have stated if a Professional thief wants it only way to stop him is with a bullet....

/ Securing tractor from theft #10  
GCLnIndiana said:
..put a GPS tracking device on it ...

Done deal, and they will never know it. Relatively inexpensive for a signal omitting device.

As said earlier, out of sight, out of mind but a GPS will take you right to it, if indeed you know it has been stolen before a thief < spit > pats it down for said device.