Hearing Protection w/Radio

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #1  

Maine_Polack

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6500 4WD
What might be the latest and greatest in ear muffs with radio?

I would prefer to stick with Peltor, since they will also fit my hardhat. Their newest model is model WTD2600, with a NRR of 26. Any one using this?

That being said, I would consider another brand if the reception was superior. Like many, I live outthere.

Are these muffs/radio directional as far as reception is concerned?

Thanks, Al

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #2  
For three years I've used an earlier model Peltor with conventional tuning and nrr of 26. I'm very happy with them.
There's advantages to the digital tuning of the model you cite. That is digital tuning is impervious to radical temperature changes. I use to have a boom box with conventional tuning in the garage but I had to continually retune it during the winter as the temperature changed. The model you cite has preset tuning capability which is nice.
Be aware that you can wear the headband behind your neck if you want to wear a straw hat or something.

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #4  
Paul, those are the ones I have also and they are Peltor with conventional (tunable capacitor) tuning. One thing I forgot to mention about those is that the frequency isn't well marked on the muffs and tuning is hit or miss. Also I bump the tuning knob too often and throw it off frequency.
I'm seriously considering getting the digital tuning ones.

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #5  
ragkar said:
Paul, those are the ones I have also and they are Peltor with conventional (tunable capacitor) tuning. One thing I forgot to mention about those is that the frequency isn't well marked on the muffs and tuning is hit or miss. Also I bump the tuning knob too often and throw it off frequency.
I'm seriously considering getting the digital tuning ones.

Well, I'll wait until I get your report on the digital tuning unit...;)

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #6  
I have the AO Safety WorkTunes™ and think they are great. With just two AA batteries’ I was doubting their longevity but found this not a problem. Well the first time use didn't last too long because I forgot to turn them off. Duh!

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #7  

Attachments

• WorkTunes_Digital_SS_1.pdf
    454.4 KB · Views: 199
   / Hearing Protection w/Radio
Good info. Thanks. Guess I will try a pair of the new digital muffs.:)

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #9  
I bought a set from Lowes that are digital. Cheap, $47 or so, but they have 3 volume levels, so occationally they are too loud. The Peltors are nice, but they don't like rain if left out by mistake overnight:eek: . Now they change channels all on their own, listening along just fine to a radio station and suddenly another station all together is coming in. Also, a Carhart jacket collar is just the right height to hit the volume, look left the volume goes up, look right and it goes down:confused: . Real pita when snowblowing.

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio
atgreene said:
I bought a set from Lowes that are digital. Cheap, $47 or so, but they have 3 volume levels, so occationally they are too loud. The Peltors are nice, but they don't like rain if left out by mistake overnight:eek: . Now they change channels all on their own, listening along just fine to a radio station and suddenly another station all together is coming in. Also, a Carhart jacket collar is just the right height to hit the volume, look left the volume goes up, look right and it goes down:confused: . Real pita when snowblowing.

Bummer...the way I'm getting :confused: senility:confused: ...cuse, meant to say senority...It is only a matter of time.

Do the Peltors keep the station pretty steady when you're moving around, turning etc?