Best option for moving logs

/ Best option for moving logs #1  

Mark.B

I have a New Holland TC24DA with 12LA loader and need to lift logs from an old log cabin. I only need to lift them a few feet off the ground to get from point A to point B. Would anyone have any recommendations as to the best method to lift them? Loader forks or use a strap around the bucket then around the log?

Are the bolt on bucket forks any good? Trying not to spend alot and the entire pallet fork set up that replaces the bucket is pretty expensive.

The logs weigh about 600# apiece, I have woods tiller that I was going to hook up as a counter balance if I use the loader.

Does anyone know an easy way to tell if your rear wheels are filled? I bought this tractor used and can't tell. The owner wasn't sure but someone told me if the tractor and loader were purchased as a package deal the odds were that the dealer filled the tires at original purchase?????

Thanks

/ Best option for moving logs #2  
I have some bolt on forks for little Kubota B7100 that are made from truck springs. They seem to work well for me. The bucket bottom is reinforced where they bolt on.:D :D

In the picture they are being used to spade a garden.

For the tires get the valve stem on the bottom and let out some air. That should tell you if there is fluid in the tire.

Attachments

• Spading garden a.JPG
    Spading garden a.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 629
   / Best option for moving logs #3  
"Does anyone know an easy way to tell if your rear wheels are filled?"

Just move the tractor until the valve stem points down and give a quick push on the valve.

/ Best option for moving logs #4  
I take it dragging them is not an option (like, tearing up your lawn, & such)? I always like keeping big chucks of mass down low, epecially if there is much of a grade or bumps involved.

And, welcome to you! There's a lot of good folk here.

/ Best option for moving logs
Thank you for the welcome, It's nice to have this much information on so many topics so quickly available.

Yeah, dragging is not an option due to the lawn and possible damage to the logs. Whatever option I choose I'll be sure to keep it low to the ground, good thing is the site is pretty level with minimal bumps.

Thanks

/ Best option for moving logs #6  
Mark.B:

Welcome to TBN :D! I can not help you with experience with forks, but whatever method you use please keep your load low, everything as level as possible, and go slow. Jay :)

/ Best option for moving logs #7  
A dedicated pallet fork setup where you remove the bucket and install the fork frame is by far the best solution. The forks will handle heavy and long longs with ease. They make loading, unloading and handling heavy loads very easy.

I use that setup much more often than I imagined. Sort of like a backhoe attachment where you find many uses for it. I tried a borrowed set of bucket forks for a short while but found that the dedicated forks are far easier to use and can handle much heavier loads.

A counterweight is required when you are using the forks (or any forks for that matter). A weight box is another handy tractor accessory. Fill it with rocks when you need the weight. Use the box for transporting stuff when it is empty.

Lou Braun

/ Best option for moving logs #8  
Here is something that a member made up that looks like it would work for you.

Attachments

• IMG_2069_(Medium).JPG
    IMG_2069_(Medium).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2071_(Medium).JPG
    IMG_2071_(Medium).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2094_(Medium).jpg
    IMG_2094_(Medium).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 325
   / Best option for moving logs #9  
I personally would use log tongs........

You can find them in Northern Tools for about 40 bucks.

Craig

/ Best option for moving logs #10  
tongs really are the solution, use a pair of them, one off each side of the loader. that way when you carry them you don't have to worry about balance so much. They are very handy to have around. One thing about them, I have used one set for over 40 yrs, and they are still just fine. you will never have to buy a new set if you don't over stress them.