Mowing Mowing Septic tank

/ Mowing Septic tank #51  
Sorry.. I thought that we had moved beyond the theoreticle, and were now into the emperical study.

Soundguy

"That may be but for design purposes it is zero.
Egon "

/ Mowing Septic tank #52  
Soundguy:

Emperical suits me just fine when driving over a sidewalk but when it comes to a tank top where I could fall into a non friendly environment the rose coloured glasses are replaced by just plain clear glass.

Egon

/ Mowing Septic tank #53  
I never really thought about it much............mowing over the tank. Did for a long time with the rider, just continued with the tractor. It weighs much more but goes over it a little quicker too. Now you guys have me worrying.

/ Mowing Septic tank #54  
For theory and calculation purposes, you, and I, and the manufacturing industry accept that there is no established standard carried load for the septic tank tops we are refering to. In practice, as evidenced here, tank/top failure rate is extremely low. I believe we have had one reported failure, and it was an enormious piece of equipment, carrying a load as well..... not a riding lawnmower, or a compact tractor.
Is the practice 'endorsed' -obviously not-... It is a "do at your own risk" situation, and as always, each situation is unique, and your mileage may vary.
If it scares you and others, the answer is obviously... don't do it.

Actually not rose collored... I was quoting specs about concrete strength. When item "a" has a determined strength of "x" ( where x is above 0 ), and you arbitrarilly undervalue that strength to 0, then claim that the surface has no load carrying capability, that is introducing significant error into the whole picture. A fudge and safety factor is fine. But that non-reinforced concrete top has positive load carrying capability.. otherwise you could not backfill it. We're splitting hairs anyway. We both agree that the top has limited capacity, and there is a risk associated with driving over it.

"the rose coloured glasses are replaced by just plain clear glass."

Soundguy

"Emperical suits me just fine when driving over a sidewalk but when it comes to a tank top where I could fall into a non friendly environment the rose coloured glasses are replaced by just plain clear glass."

/ Mowing Septic tank #55  
Mowing over septic tank:

I probably take an overly cautious stance on tank tops as work safety training had very extensive coverage on this item and it has just carried over with me into retirment. I'm quite sure each situation should be evaluated on its own merits.
Now there may be some carryover to other items like cisterns and larger holding tanks where more though should be given.

Egon

/ Mowing Septic tank #56  
Can't argue with you there. When it comes to safety, common sense has to occour, and it is always better to err on the side of safety.

""I probably take an overly cautious stance on tank tops as work safety training had very extensive coverage on this item and it has just carried over with me into retirment. I'm quite ""

""sure each situation should be evaluated on its own merits.
Now there may be some carryover to other items like cisterns and larger holding tanks where more though should be given.""

I've worked with box culverts, metal ( squash ) and concrete pipe, steel casing, various other rigid and non rigid pipes, as well as precast drainage structures.

So far, in the 18 years our company has been in business, we have never had a piece of heavy equipment cause a failure in a drainage structure. Keep in mind that box culverts are designed to carry heavy loads, and many municipalities youe large box culvert sections as bridges, etc.
Also, many ( most ? ) comercial precast structures are wire reinforced, and also buried deeper than a septic tank generally is.
I have seen metal squash pipe failure but only in extreme circumstances. Still it is a good thought to keep in mind. Equipment manufacturers are keeping this in mind with their product line as well. Many of our bull dozers are wide track models and have a lower ground pressury than some of the older models.. quite an improvement , and less damaging to existing sitework.

Soundguy

/ Mowing Septic tank #57  
Mr. Soundguy:

Strangely enough I have also worked with concrete pipe and even mutiplate culverts of up to 30 ft.in Dia. and somewhere around 300 ft. long, maybe more but can't remember. Used to drive my pickup through them. They were covered with at least 150 ft. of fill.
Uh, the company I worked for then had started in business around 1887 or so, so they had been around for a few years.
Now as to the width of the dozer tracks' if I can recall correctely' on rock you use narrow pads and when working in muskeg the widest you can find.
Deepest I had trench experience with was around 30 Ft. Thats all the hoe could reach at full extension.

Egon

/ Mowing Septic tank #58  
We don't deal with anything quite that big. Probably our biggest stuff is box culvert sections, probably 12 tons or so.
We are currently setting them as bridge componets, using in place footers, and pre-cast wing wall sections.

""somewhere around 300 ft. long, maybe more but can't remember. Used to drive my pickup through them. They were covered with at least 150 ft. of fill. ""

""Uh, the company I worked for then had started in business around 1887 or so, so they had been around for a few years.
Now as to the width of the dozer tracks' if I can recall correctely' on rock you use narrow pads and when working in muskeg the widest you can find. "

We even use the LGP wide track dozers on finish grade projects. Better traction, and less impact on the sitework.

We have a dragline with 4' paddle style tracks for use in muck ponds.. and have even gotten that stuck before.
Sometimes there just isn't enough soil stability.

Soundguy

/ Mowing Septic tank #60  
They time I remember it getting stuck was about 12 years ago, and the dragline was situated on a (dry?) bank, being used as a dredge to clear muck. After a few days of no use due to rain, the dragline was found to be situated on hard silt... well it wasn't hard any more.... By that time, the whole areas was a mess. A vain attempt was made to pull it out with a dozer, which sank un to the rollers as well. As far as i know, they let them set a week, and walked them out on their own.

Soundguy