Truck vs Tractor TOW

/ Truck vs Tractor TOW #1  

wkpoor

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 5400, Farmall H, Farmall Cub, Allis Chalmers CA
I've often wondered what kind of a match up in a tug of war a full size 4WD truck would be against a tractor and what size tractor would it take to best the truck. Assuming the truck is pretty much stock and the tractor too.
Anyone actually done this before and what were the results?
Also I would think the test would be done on dry soil.

/ Truck vs Tractor TOW #2  
The winner would be determined by traction, not power. Probably that traction would best come from weight. My money (depending on tires) would be on the heaviest vehicle.

/ Truck vs Tractor TOW #4  
Have a 96 F350 4x4 with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel and it would outpull my old L2500 Kubota. It was many years ago and don't even remember what I was pulling, but I do remember hooking up to the Kubota first, and then the truck and the truck pulled it. The truck does have aftermarket Truetrac limited slip carriers in both axles. This was on dirt. Just the other day, I was helping my neighbor clean up after a massive storm took out 4 trees in his front yard. He had a stump he wanted out and we hooked it up to his Toyota Tundra and it wouldn't budge it. The dirt around it didn't even get disturbed. I went home and got my new L4400 Kubota and was going to try digging it out. Just pushing up against it and rolling the bucket back with the toothbar on the stump, after 3 different angles of attack, it popped out of the ground. I think he was as shocked as I was. This was also on dirt.

As far as hooking both up to see for sure, haven't tried that.

/ Truck vs Tractor TOW #5  
It would sorta depend on the truck would it not. Hook on to one of these and you may have a problem with a tractor.:D :D :D

Attachments

• tarsands.jpg
    tarsands.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 184
   / Truck vs Tractor TOW #6  
I don't know if this answers your question, but I've pulled a stuck car out of a soft dirt ditch using a 1975 ford 5000, 70hp.. tractor probably weighs in at 6000#, plus another 2500# for the 10' mower that was on it at the time. Ladies husband had a gmc 1500 with probably 5.3 engine, 4wd.. Problem was he was spinning all 4 tires. Not sure of his weight but would guess in the 4000# range??

I used low range, 1st gear, and idle, and just sliped the clutch out and the tractor moved like there was nothing to it... pulled the car out real easy and slow.. unhooked her husbands tow rope and went on my way..

soundguy

/ Truck vs Tractor TOW #7  
I think the determining factor is definatally ground condition. Trucks that weigh between 5000 and 6000lbs have way more HP than a 5000-6000lb tractor. But wether they can put it to the ground is the key.
For example: Tractor - Kubota 3400 Gear weight w/loader 3500lbs
Truck 2003 Chevy 1500 4x4 5.3L weight empty 5800lbs

On pavement Truck will out pull, On dry hard clay, probabally even.
On grass probabally tractor. And everything from damp to mud, tractor definatally wins.

Traction is definatally the key for trucks. We use the 3400 for cutting and hauling wood, and dragging trees out to cut. Mostly muddy woods conditions and the chevy would just burry itself. However, my old beater truck will pull circles around the l3400 in any codition. 85 dodge 35x16 boggers, limited slip front and rear, and two transfer cases for an extra low rang- weight 6000lbs.

Anytime we have a tree we cant move with the kubota, we use the dodge.

/ Truck vs Tractor TOW #8  
Don't forget gearing. A tractor has far lower gearing so you can put the HP/Torque to the ground without wheel spin. I have pulled out stumps and shrubs with my 28HP 4 wheel drive tractor that my neighbor failed with his Dodge Cummins.

Chris

/ Truck vs Tractor TOW #9  
Right after I bought my F150 I got it stuck up to the frame rails in the slickest stuff I've ever seen.

I called my B-I-L to come unstuck me with his tractor. He showed up in his AM General 4x4 military pickup with a 350? Buick engine in it. It couldn't budge me.

He went back and got his JD 70 hp ag tractor and even though it spun a bit, it got me out.

What I've always wondered about these professional tractopr pulls is this: They use the jet turbines, P-51 Merlins (RR?), multiple blown car engines, etc etc. And they struggle with those sleds. Couldn't one of those huge Cat bulldozers pull that sled all over kingdom come with a lot less fanfare and noise? Sure, it would be kind of boring but it sure would make those 'tractor' contraption look silly.

/ Truck vs Tractor TOW #10  
And spoil all the fun. No smoke, no loud belching engines, no engine parts flying around??:D :D

Me, I don't understand the intrigue with tractor pulls etc.:confused: :confused: