Working tractor in the water

/ Working tractor in the water #1  

RPK

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 Cub Cadet 1554
I live on a 100 acre lake and have backed my L3130 with landscape rake out into our swimming area to clean out the bottom. My question is, how much of the tractor is safe to be submerged?? I think there is a breather port for the hydro fluid at the rear of the tractor and I'm sure this should be kept dry. Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks

/ Working tractor in the water #2  
I'd be thinking about making an extension for your rake so you can keep your machine on dry land....

/ Working tractor in the water #3  
Also consider brakes, wheel bearings and shaft openings, I like the rake extension idea more now
:)

/ Working tractor in the water #4  
I'd wonder how far you are backing into the lake? How deep have you had it? Are you axle deep?

/ Working tractor in the water
Good points. I have had it out axle deep once. I hadn't thought about brakes and bearings. I am not going to do it again. I have been thinking about mounting the rake on the front of the tractor and this will give me a good reason to do so. Thanks

/ Working tractor in the water #6  
I would be concerned like the others said about contamination of the rear end, brakes and vital fluids. Maybe tire tread deep without any worrys. Another thread awhile back the guy wanted ways to clean his pond. I think the best idea was using a chain link fence drag across the bottom.

/ Working tractor in the water #7  
On a related note, here in Iowa with the heavy flooding, many of us have had our machines in deep water intentionally or unintentionally. I'd rather drown the tractor while moving sandbags vs. worry about bearings and seals. We have wreckers up to their rear decks in water, wheel loaders up to their engine fans in water, etc....

The best thing to do is get tractor onto dry ground and let it drain off before hosing it down in WD-40 and moving on.

IowaAndy

/ Working tractor in the water #8  
another vote for an extension and keeping it on dry ground as much as possible. my main concern would be getting it stuck in the soft muck and then really having it sink down past the vent holes. even with four wheel drive, the ground around the edge of a pond or lake can be like quicksand and suck you in quick.

amp

/ Working tractor in the water #9  
I have been thinking of how to accomplish this myself I was thinking of placing my landscape rake at one side of the pond, and chaining it from the top link pin to the tractor on the other side of the pond. Then I could pull the rake through the pond. Not sure if it will be heavy enough for this, but I could try the box blade instead. Sounds good, but not sure how effective it will be. That is like project 18 on summer list. Working on project 5 right now!!!

/ Working tractor in the water #10  
I wouldn't be worried so much about the brakes since they are wet brakes, It's the bearings, for some reason water just loves bearing surfaces.

Alxe seals are designed to keep fluid in and dust out....not fluid out.