Wife operating tractor

/ Wife operating tractor #11  
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get wife interested in operating a tractor?

Best I've done so far is get her on the seat. She'll get into it sooner or later. As far as gears, we both prefer manual trannies, so that won't be an issue. Slopes, even minor slopes, will be though.

Just tell her how incredibly sexy she looks, sitting on a Deere (insert Kubota, NH or ?)...

Attachments

• 47-136787-SuzyTractorB.jpg
    47-136787-SuzyTractorB.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 98
   / Wife operating tractor #12  
Well I can tell you what worked for me.

My wife was really kind of interested in learning but was a bit afraid. Whenever I suggested a lesson she said "later". I wanted her to learn so she can move her own mulch around which she is constantly adding.

Finally I told her the same thing as I did regarding our outboard fishing boat and it is not a lie. Someday, I said, there might be an emergency situation where you need to be able to operate it. To do that you have to be able to start it, drive it and work the FEL and 3PH. You need to be able to do these things without hesitation. I could be injured or pinned with my life depending on it.

This did the trick and well it should. It's a darn good reason. Hopefully after that she will grow to like it. If you don't have too much life insurance on you it should work for you!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Wife operating tractor #13  
Bill,

A lot of good suggestions, but I think the solution is obvious. Just add a flashing red light and a siren, and away she'll go! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Wife operating tractor
Tony C, I like the safety angle, and as you said it very well could be me that gets in trouble with the tractor. I appreciate everyones' suggestions and will try most of them. One thing my daughter said was it looked "BIG" with the FEL & BH attatched, I may unhook the BH and see if it makes any difference. Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

Bill C

/ Wife operating tractor #15  
You could always buy her her own tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. A little off topic, do you two work for the same department, just on different shifts? I work with a guy whose wife works for a different department, but on the same shift. I would think if you worked different shifts you would never see each other. Back on topic, if you just leave the keys in it, maybe she will go out and play with it. Being in this job, she's obviously somewhat mechanically inclined and a sharp lady.

/ Wife operating tractor
Hosejockey2002, yes we work for the same dept., she works the day shift and I work the night shift. Beginning Sept 1(possibly July 1) we will be working 24 hour shifts, myself Tues & Thur, her Sat & Mon. Right now we see each other 2 1/2 hours between our shifts(supper time). As for her own tractor she has used the Wheel Horse garden tractor in the past.

Bill C

/ Wife operating tractor #17  
What I have used on my wife was a combination of the safety, and work angle. We do alot of projects around the house.. but my wife isn't really strong enough to help me lift things.. So needless to say, I am very creative with winches, pulleys, dollies, 'dead-men supports'.. so I can do a two man job with just me.. and the wife watching. One thing was driving the thractor in the pasture, throwing out bales of hay. She couldn't lif thte bales.. so I got her to drive. My new tractor has a foot throttle.. I just got here in a good gear range.. like 2 or 3, then she can choose a decent gear.. again.. 2 or 3.. and just jus the clutch brake gas.. like a regular car.. except not going through the gears...
Besides... In an emergency situation.. like a horse laying on me, etc... I want her to be able to at least move it around, etc..

Soundguy

/ Wife operating tractor #18  
If your wife is anything like mine, she will come around eventually. I remember when I first got the lawn tractor, she didn't want anything to do with it. After seeing how quickly I could mow an area with the tractor, about 1/3 the time it took her with the push mower, she decided she wanted to learn how to drive it. Now I use the push mower while she mows with the tractor. Same thing when I purchased a quad, at first she wouldn't go near it. When she found out how much quicker an easier she could move stuff around in the cart with it, boom, now she uses it more than I do. I figure before the summer is out, I will have to fight her to get "Seat Time" an my tractor.

/ Wife operating tractor #19  
THomas,

How did you cut the sod in the picture? Did you use a sod cutter, or the FEL? It was certainly cut very cleanly at the right level.

/ Wife operating tractor #20  
Indeed I used a sod cutter /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

Once I found out just how big this project was going to be. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Last edited: