Rock is too big

/ Rock is too big #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
This is a job at my daughter's house that was going well until I hit this rock which was just a little bitty thing when a tooth scraped into it. I had to dig around the rock to budge it. No matter how I tried, the bucket would not even curl this thing. I am doubting if anyone makes a tractor in the 25-32 hp range that would of picked up his stone. If granite weighs 200# per cu. ft. I estimate this stone at 1400-1600 Ibs. If I didn't roll it , it was going no where.
The last picture shows the completed job that without teeth, wasn't happening.

Attachments

• DSC01588.JPG rock.jpg
    DSC01588.JPG rock.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC01589.JPG rock 2.jpg
    DSC01589.JPG rock 2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,022
  • DSC01635.JPG finished.jpg
    DSC01635.JPG finished.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,051
   / Rock is too big #2  
I guess the other option would have been to dig next to it & try to bury it.

I was looking at the pictures & thinking that it looks a lot like my native Rhode Island.

/ Rock is too big #4  
Push it around to the front of the property and put your house number on it...;)

/ Rock is too big #5  
My toy tractor would have been able to dig around it but there it would have stayed. There is one just like it in the access road to the play farm. I got it dug out but that was all and had to bury it again. It's now about 2 inches out of the ground and does not present a problem.

My other option would have been the impact hammer drill followed by feathers and wedges.

Those are nice looking chains on your tractor. It's appears you leave them on year round?:D :D

/ Rock is too big #6  
Looks like your digging in sand.
That would have made a nice load for my root grapple on the 5400.
I need to do one of those handy walls myself sometime this summer. Looks like you have your work cut out there. LOLOLOL

/ Rock is too big #7  
Next time try whipping together a rock boat to drag the stone instead of rolling it. This would likely incur less damage on the lawn. An old piece of metal roofing works great.

/ Rock is too big #8  
you could use some forks on th 3pt that would probably get it out of there....

/ Rock is too big #9  
Rock boats are great - and you can move very large rocks. I use an old car hood.

/ Rock is too big
This rock was so heavy, unless the sledge or boat had wheels, this thing prevented my tractor from going anywhere unless I rolled it. When I got a bite on it and attempted to push it, I'd go 3 ft and stop, wheels spinning. Forks on the 3 pt seems like an interesting notion. I do wonder if even this method would of worked. I have to look up the capacity of this tractors 3 pt. This job had an interesting strata of clay, gravel and then sand with about 1000 other rocks ranging from bushel size to softball size. I wish I had the 5400 for even 15 minutes. I'm sure it would of made this job alot easier. The teeth worked great for picking out all of these stones. If I didn't reinforce the cheap JD materials bucket, this job would of ripped the bucket to pieces