Can someone explain Category 0 vs Category 1 3pt hitches?

/ Can someone explain Category 0 vs Category 1 3pt hitches? #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
From what little I've gathered, it seems like some garden tractors have cat. 0 3pt hitches, and CUTs have category 1 hitches.

However, I know my Yanmar YM1401D is a very small tractor. I am considering purchasing a box blade for it, I think I would get a lot of use out of that.

Both box blades are the same size, 48". However, the one with the category 1 is almost $200 more. I don't really feel like spending that much.

Can someone let me know which size hitch my tractor has? Are they "backwards compatible"?

Thanks!

Dennis

/ Can someone explain Category 0 vs Category 1 3pt hitches? #3  
dieselfuelonly said:
From what little I've gathered, it seems like some garden tractors have cat. 0 3pt hitches, and CUTs have category 1 hitches.

However, I know my Yanmar YM1401D is a very small tractor. I am considering purchasing a box blade for it, I think I would get a lot of use out of that.

Both box blades are the same size, 48". However, the one with the category 1 is almost $200 more. I don't really feel like spending that much.

Can someone let me know which size hitch my tractor has? Are they "backwards compatible"?

Thanks!

Dennis

You might want to post this in the Yanmar forum. There are some people there that know all about the specific models. If you have a photo of the rear of the tractor most tractor guys can tell you from that.

/ Can someone explain Category 0 vs Category 1 3pt hitches? #5  
I may be wrong but other than the obvious attachment point size spec. differences, as one goes up in Category implements the fabrication us usually more robust and can handle more tractor horsepower. In your case a Category 0 implement would probably be lighter weight than a Category 1 even though both are 48". More weighty material & heftier fabrication = $200. Generally probably best to match your tractor & implement category to prevent damage to either.