Tires turf tires vs industrial

/ turf tires vs industrial #1  

Anonymous Poster

Considering a new tractor with either turf tires or industrial.

Most activity will be mowing, grading, might be a little tillage.
My property is loaded with thorny locust trees. My neighbor won't even mow with his farm tractor beacuse of possibility of punctures. The question is would industrial or turf tires be a better match? I think that I would prefer turf but am wondering if the tread depth would be prone to punctures?

Thanks

/ turf tires vs industrial #2  
The R4 Industrial tires will be much more puncture resistant than the turf tires or even the ag tires. Many people use them for mowing their lawns also and they say they work well.

/ turf tires vs industrial #3  
Hi endless, I've got R4's on my TC21D, and I love them. You've got to be a bit careful when the yard is soft, but if you make easy turns, they don't tear up the grass at all. They seem to work great for traction, although I didn't get to use them in snow this year. No problem in mud at all. Let me know if you have any other question. I'd be glad to help. Kent

/ turf tires vs industrial #4  
If you have all these puncture problems on your property I would get the tires filled with foam right from the start. This may be a little pricey up front but will save a lot of trips to the tire dealer to have them fixed. Plus all that travel time to the tire dealer is less time in the seat.

/ turf tires vs industrial #6  
You would have to price it at a tire dealer in your area. It depends on the size of the tire and what type of material that dealer is using. In other words there are a lot of varibles that contribute to the price.

/ turf tires vs industrial #7  
If you have the tires foam filled you want the lightest foam you can get. Otherwise your tires will rip the turf.

/ turf tires vs industrial #8  
If you don't plan on working in a sloppy area or removing heavy wet snow than turf tires should do the trick.

If you going to haul a rear attachment etc.. up or down a steep grade than I would consider the industrial tries for traction..or maybe a good set of tire chains for the rear turf tires.

/ turf tires vs industrial #9  
When we first built our house, I bought a Cub 154 Lowboy. It was 2WD, and had turf tires. It was easy on the grass, but on hills (especially if the grass was wet or extra long) could have used more traction. I had a front-mounted blade, and HAD to use chains just to drive through the snow. With chains, it could push a lot of snow.

A few years later, this tractor was replaced with a Ford 1210 4WD with unballasted Ag tires. These were a little more aggresive on the grass, but unless the ground was very soft, or the tractor was in 4WD, performance was acceptable. In the snow, the little tractor did an outstanding job with a 5' rear-mounted scraper blade. If the snow wasn't too deep, you could drive forward through it and angle the blade to throw it aside. Deep snows were done by rotating the blade and pushing backwards.

About 2 weeks ago, a B7500 HST/4WD was delivered, and the Ford's days are numbered. The tires selected for this tractor were R4's. I am running 12 gallons of antifreeze/water mix in each rear tire, and nothing but air in the front. There is some extra weight from the FEL subframe. I have used this tractor and a 3PH finish mower in the rain a few times, and it has been doing things in 2WD that the Ford needed 4wd to do. These two tractors can be compared "apples to apples" because I have been mowing the same 7+ acres for several years, and when I switched to the Kubota, I found it unecessary to reach down and lock it into 4WD at most of the places the Ford needed it. Another trick I didn't need to use with the Kubota was using the 3PH to pick the mower slightly for weight transfer when backing uphill in 2WD. The Kubota just goes where it should without a hassle. It's also notable that the Kubota is pulling a mower that's about 160# heavier. The R4's don't leave grass pushed down like the Ag's.

Yesterday (in the rain) while mowing along the roadside in some tall grass, I heard a "POP", kinda like a big lightbulb breaking. Then there was the smell of beer. Some pig discarded a partially filled beer bottle, and it was crushed beneath the right rear tire. No damage to the tire, thank goodness. Don't know if the Ag tires would have put up with that or not..................chim

/ turf tires vs industrial #10  
I'll say he was a pig. Besides, that's alcohol abuse. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif