Kubota B7100 overheating

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #21  
Considering that the cooling system was engineered to meet (cool) the heat load demands of the engine under worst case conditions, the overheating problems have to fall into one of the following two catagories:
(1) There is a malfunction causing the engine to produce a higher heat load than was designed for, or
(2) There is a malfunction that prevents the cooling system from cooling the way it was designed.

Possible examples of problems in category (1) include but are not limited to...
-- a defective mower or other drive train component that results in abnormal resistance that causes the tractor's engine to work harder, or
-- a clogged air filter, or other problem relating to fuel/air mixture, or
-- other???

Possible examples of problems in category (2) include but are not limited to...
-- clogged radiator fins which reduces heat transfer
-- blockages inside the radiator reducing coolant flow
-- wrong mixture or type of antifreeze which would reduce coolant flow or heat transfer properties of the coolant
-- other???

Other notes:

<font color=blue>I've been running at a little back from full throttle</font color=blue>

Since I had engine problems a few years back due to overheating, I added a temperature guage where the sensor was mounted in the top of the radiator on my B7100. I can't explain it, but when mowing it runs slightly cooler at full throttle than it does a knob width below full throttle.

<font color=blue>My basic question: should a B7100 be able to handle a 48" mower?</font color=blue>

I have the 48" mid mower installed. I also have connected my LandPride 60" rear mower (that I normally use on my B2150) and didn't notice much of a difference in the B7100's mowing performance. Therefore, I'd say that the mower size isn't your problem. There could be a slim chance that your mower's gearbox or blades aren't turning as freely as they should thus causing the tractor to work harder.

<font color=blue>The antifreeze is Peak (orange, permanent) </font color=blue>
I took my B7100 manual to work and accidently left it there today. Seems like it mentions "permanent" antifreeze, but I can't remember if it said "Use It" or "Don't Use It". I know that mixing different types of antifreeze (for example, environmentally friendly and the old standard type antifeeze) can cause undesired reactions that can have disastrous results in some automobile engines (seems like I've heard that it eats away at head gaskets of some GM products).

Hope this helps,
Kelvin

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #22  
RoyJackson,
<font color=blue>If this is one of the Kubota's that have no water pump, I thought the coolant/water ratio was 70/30. </font color=blue>
I'm pretty sure that Kubota recommends a maximum 50/50 coolant mix for the thermosiphon cooling systems (where thermosiphon=no water pump and no thermostat).

As I mentioned in another post, I left my manuals at work so I can't look it up to confirm.

Kelvin

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #23  
I think it is supposed to be 70 percent water and 30 percent antifreeze for maximun cooling.

Chris

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #24  
Actually, wouldn't it be just '0 kelvin'.. no degrees?

Soundguy

"Actually its -273.16 Celsius that would be zero degrees Kelvin or "Absolute Zero" at which point all vibration of a particle is supposed to stop.
Tsk Tsk
(This could only amuse an engineer) "

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #25  
<font color=blue>Actually, wouldn't it be just '0 kelvin'.. no degrees?</font color=blue>

Only if you capitalize the 'K' in 'Kelvin' ...

OK thats enough for me on this one. Ill go bananas otherwise.

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #26  
I have recently purchased a fine little B1550 2wd and was experiencing the same overheating problem. I'm thankful I read the reply about the radiator screen because mine was clogged pretty bad. I appreciate the good advise, it saved me some headaches and a lot of worrying that something bad was really happening. I'll keep that screen clear after every cutting from now on.