Kubota B7100 overheating

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #1  

gzoerner

Tractor
Kubota B7100
When mowing with a Land Pride 48" finish mower my B7100 (~1995, 4WD, 600 hrs) overheats. I have to let it cool down at idle for 10 minutes after about 1/2 acre. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Glen Zoerner
Texas Hill Country

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #2  
When was the last time you serviced the tractor and checked the fluids and had the filters changed?

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #3  
Have you cleaned the radiator screen? These will plug up with weed seed and chaff. If your not familiar, Kubota has a removable nylon screen that sits in front of the radiator. This screen protects the radiator from plugging up. If you are mowing high grass or weeds or it is dry, you will need to clean this screen often. If this is not the problem you could have a water pump going bad. Check it by seeing if you have play in the bearings on the pump shaft. Grasp the fan spindle and see if it wiggles. If you have play then the bearings are going bad. These can be rebuilt but you would probably be better if you replaced the pump. Save your old pump for a return deposit. Hope this helps.

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #4  
gzoerner,

In addition to the external inspection of the radiator, there are a couple of things that you need to check:

Thermosiphon Cooling System: Ensure that you have the proper mix of water/antifreeze (50/50 max). Having greater than 50% antifreeze will cause overheating. Make sure that you know how the cooling system works. If you need details, let me know. I've posted the cooling system description a lot on this board in the past (since I had to rebuild my B7100 engine because of it...)

Air Filter: I have heard that a dirty air filter will also cause a diesel engine to run hotter.

Kelvin

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #5  
When you clean your radiator screen,also hose out the radiator cooling fins.
Even with the screen in place they still build up with debris..

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #6  
Im wandering off topic here but it was amusing to an old engineer to have someone with the handle Kelvin posting about an overheating problem. Ill watch out for Fahrenheit and Celsius next.

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #7  
Im wandering off topic here but it was amusing to an old engineer to have someone with the handle Kelvin posting about an overheating problem

I know what you're talking about but you absolutely may have to explain this one, Wanker...

(-273°)

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #8  
Since I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I have had to perform many calculations using both the Rankin and Kelvin "Absolute" temperature scales.

For a while I had a part-time Air Force job along with my full-time engineering job, but decided that the two jobs didn't leave enough time for my family, and since the Air Force job was better than the engineering job I decided to go full time Air Force (Air National Guard) and let the engineering skills suffer.

But I still try to be an "absolute" kind of guy...

Kelvin

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #9  
While we're wandering even further off course...

I'm pulling this out of my head from over 10 years ago, but isn't it -273.15?

Note that I'm too lazy to dig out the old books and look it up.

Kelvin

/ Kubota B7100 overheating #10  
Actually its -273.1<font color=red>6</font color=red> <font color=blue>Celsius</font color=blue> that would be zero degrees Kelvin or "Absolute Zero" at which point all vibration of a particle is supposed to stop.

Tsk Tsk

(This could only amuse an engineer)