Things found in the field

/ Things found in the field #11  
I've found the odd rusty piece of iron from old equipment. :D :D :D

/ Things found in the field #12  
About 8 years ago, we were building our barn. My father-in-law brought over a track loader to backfill and to dig out for a gravel driveway. The next day, I went down to the barn after it had rained and found an unfired civil war bullet sitting in the mud where the gravel driveway was going. Didn't notice it the day before, must have showed up after the rain. I always figured our property is loaded with stuff like that as we live about 7 miles from Manassas Battlefield. Just last year, I borrowed a neighbors metal detector and while I had it, decided to check around an old stone wall that goes across our lot which is in our goat pen. I was suprised that nothing came up, except for a couple old bottle caps. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time seeing that bullet after the rain.

/ Things found in the field #13  
Arrowheads, tomahawk heads and various Indian rock tools, Civil War era buckles and musket balls, a few old coins

Baled Lots of Critters, mainly snakes, but also rabbits and a fawn once. Amazing what comes out of a square baler!

/ Things found in the field #14  
Another advantage of a cab tractor, at least the stuff stays inside when it falls out. :D
Mighty lucky on the wallet.

/ Things found in the field #15  
The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
New American Standard Bible (©1995) Matthew 13:44

/ Things found in the field #16  
Saw a coke bottle. Decided to dig it out. Before I got through digging I had a 5 gallon bucket full of old "coke" bottles. To you boys up north, all soda pop bottles are coke bottles. Some of these coke bottles were Royal Crown with the pyramids, Orange Crush, Coca Cola with the raised letters and city on bottom, and some others. This is on an old farm I bought. Not sure who burried them many years ago.

/ Things found in the field #17  
A few years ago, my son lost his wallet at a concert outside Washington DC, probably 10,000 plus people there... No money in it but did contain drivers license etc. Showed up in the mailbox a couple days later... Yep, still some good people out there!

mark

/ Things found in the field #18  
Farmwithjunk said:
Something a little different here. I was bush hogging in three different fields today and found three different items of value laying in the grass/weeds. Just happened to look down at the exact right moment.

1st field. 10 acres. Mowing with the Deere 6430/15' batwing. Grass about 10" tall. Someone had been riding a 4-wheeler around the day before and had the grass matted down in one area. I looked down to see what looked like a cell phone. Sure enough! An AT&T Blackberry. Been rained on and the screen is fogged. Someone is probably bummed.

Next field. 15-1/2 acres, mowing with same tractor. Look down as I'm pulling into the field to see something laying in the weeds. A Garmin GPS locator. Looks to be OK. I THINK I know who it might belong to. Gonna call 'em monday. (Real estate agent handling the sale of this property)

So, I get done, go home, and decide to mow a couple acres on my place. The wind last night knocked down a couple limbs. I'm mowing with my trusty ol' Massey Ferguson. I jump off, drag the limbs out of the way, and get back on the tractor. A couple rounds later, I see something else laying in the grass. Hmmmm. Who's been on my property? I jump off, walk over and find A WALLET..... MINE..... It fell out while I was moving the limbs. If I wouldn't have seen it, next pass, it would have been Bush Hog fodder.

So. Anyone ever find anything of consequence while out tractorin'?

When I bought my 10 acres of flat pasture 4 years ago the weeds were 3-4 ft high. Before venturing out with my new Kubota B7510HST and 4-ft KK brush hog, I decided to walk the field. Found two front wheels from old tractors, a lot of barbed wire, a few T-posts and a cast iron bathtub with procelain coating that was evidently being used to water the stock. I missed several almond tree stumps which I subsequently found with the brush hog the hard way.

/ Things found in the field #19  
My property was logged a number of times. My finds only cost me money. So far I have 2000' of cable, maybe 5 20' chains of various thickness, tons of fenceposts and sheepwire, a few mailboxes, a culvert and this bad boy. A rake from a d8 dozer. That cost me a new set of blades. All of this is buried deep in the blackberries and brush, and my mower is on front so it finds things first. Oh and last week I killed the phone line for the whole road. Amazing how far those metal phone boxes will fly and all those tiny tiny wires they have inside...

There is a body somewhere on the property. Doubt I will find it with the mower, but the archeological inspector (some guy who checks to make sure your property is not a burial ground before you construct) told me that if you find mocassins on the feet stop, if you find Nikes on the feet keep going.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.JPG
    IMG_4318.JPG
    590.4 KB · Views: 1,171
   / Things found in the field #20  
Bird said:
I have never lost a wallet, but about 9 years ago, I spent the day baling hay and at the end of the day, I discovered my wallet missing from my hip pocket. Of course, I figured it was going to be in one of those bales of hay and I'd never see it again. Sure was a sickening feeling and figured I'd have to call and cancel credit cards, etc. the next morning. So I headed for home; had about a mile of just a trail back to the road and about halfway back, I saw my wallet lying in the trail. Talk about one happy fellow. It had to have fallen out on the way to the field that morning.

I know that feeling Bird, I just left my house with the baler to head to the field and my phone rang (it was one of my workers), I take the call and put the phone back on my hip. Get to the field, drop the pickup and start baling, stop a few bales in to check the tension and notice my phone is missing. So I am lost now, I have all my contacts (customers, workers, friends) as well as all of mine and my daughters appointments stored in my phone with no paper backup for a lot of them. So at this point I could care less about the hay and I had my father start looking for my phone up and down the road as well as the first few bales of hay. No luck, it is set on vibrate also so I could feel it when someone called (can't hear much on an open station tractor). Well, at 10pm I head back to the field and kept calling my number in hopes of seeing the lights flashing. Well, no luck till I am about to leave and I go look at the entrance and sure enough, it was laying in the edge of the ditch. It was suppose to rain that night (and it did) so I was lucky to find it when I did. What happened is my phone fell out as I stepped off the tractor at the entrance to drop the pickup. I originally thought it fell when I lowered the pickup down and if it fell there it would have been in the windrow.

Bill, I am glad you found your wallet also, it is a strange feeling when you find your own lost items when you didn't realize you had lost it yet