Things found in the field

/ Things found in the field #21  
I'm pretty sure the high weeds at the back of the field are hiding a old manure spreader. I have been wondering if the price of scrap is high enough to make it worth my while to go find it.:D

Chris

/ Things found in the field #23  
Robert_in_NY said:
I know that feeling Bird, I just left my house with the baler to head to the field and my phone rang (it was one of my workers), I take the call and put the phone back on my hip. Get to the field, drop the pickup and start baling, stop a few bales in to check the tension and notice my phone is missing. So I am lost now, I have all my contacts (customers, workers, friends) as well as all of mine and my daughters appointments stored in my phone with no paper backup for a lot of them. So at this point I could care less about the hay and I had my father start looking for my phone up and down the road as well as the first few bales of hay. No luck, it is set on vibrate also so I could feel it when someone called (can't hear much on an open station tractor). Well, at 10pm I head back to the field and kept calling my number in hopes of seeing the lights flashing. Well, no luck till I am about to leave and I go look at the entrance and sure enough, it was laying in the edge of the ditch. It was suppose to rain that night (and it did) so I was lucky to find it when I did. What happened is my phone fell out as I stepped off the tractor at the entrance to drop the pickup. I originally thought it fell when I lowered the pickup down and if it fell there it would have been in the windrow.

Bill, I am glad you found your wallet also, it is a strange feeling when you find your own lost items when you didn't realize you had lost it yet

Had that same experience a few years ago when I lived South in Orange County while hiking the trails in the foothills of the Santa Ana Mts. Had my cell phone in a belt holster. It dropped out while I was struggling up a steep part of the trail. Didn't notice it until I was almost 0.5 miles up the trail. Backtracked and, fortunately, found it in the weeds silghtly off the trail. Like you, I've become dependent on that little thingy for so much.

/ Things found in the field #24  
Good Afternoon Bill,
Gee talkin about findin all that stuff out there in the fields, thats gotta be some kind of record !!! ;)

Im planning on doin some bushoggin over the long weekend, but Im gonna have to be extra careful, I have seen a total of 24 baby turkey chicks cross the drive from one field to the next ! The problem is that the fields are so high now that you cant even see Moma out there ! :(

Guess I will have to keep a close eye out ! :)

/ Things found in the field #25  
Robert_in_NY said:
So I am lost now, I have all my contacts (customers, workers, friends) as well as all of mine and my daughters appointments stored in my phone with no paper backup for a lot of them. Well, at 10pm I head back to the field and kept calling my number in hopes of seeing the lights flashing. Well, no luck till I am about to leave and I go look at the entrance and sure enough, it was laying in the edge of the ditch. It was suppose to rain that night (and it did) so I was lucky to find it when I did. What happened is my phone fell out as I stepped off the tractor at the entrance to drop the pickup. I originally thought it fell when I lowered the pickup down and if it fell there it would have been in the windrow.

Bill, I am glad you found your wallet also, it is a strange feeling when you find your own lost items when you didn't realize you had lost it yet

Good Afternoon Robert,
Glad to here the good news on the phone !

Up until last year I never had a cell phone, but driving the car carrier part time these days my boss got me a Nextel to be able to get in touch when Im out on the road. The phone has the holster clip but can occassionally free itself from your belt ! :confused: IMO the best kind of holster are the canvass versions that you have to put your belt through, they cant come off, and they have a top flap that snaps in position from comming out of your pouch ! Might be the way to go ! :)

/ Things found in the field #26  
scott_vt said:
Good Afternoon Robert,
Glad to here the good news on the phone !

Up until last year I never had a cell phone, but driving the car carrier part time these days my boss got me a Nextel to be able to get in touch when Im out on the road. The phone has the holster clip but can occassionally free itself from your belt ! :confused: IMO the best kind of holster are the canvass versions that you have to put your belt through, they cant come off, and they have a top flap that snaps in position from comming out of your pouch ! Might be the way to go ! :)

I have had the canvas ones with the velcro top flap but the velcro doesn't last long with as often as I use my phone for various things (check weather, TBN, e-mail, appointments, text messages and the occasional phone call) so I switched to one of these clamp style that use elastic to sandwhich the phone between two padded pieces of plastic. It generally does a great job of protecting my phone and holding it as well as make it easy to access. But for some reason it decided to pop out twice that day so I am not sure if it is the way I was wearing it or if I just wasn't putting it in all the way while on the tractor. Either way I am going to get a new phone in a day or two and will most likely buy a new holder also. Hopefully I can find a snap type canvas one like you are talking about.

/ Things found in the field #28  
lets see...ive found plenty of chains, a few old metal buckets, railroad track, i found an old pair of logging tongs and skidder cable with my tiller, an old john deere 1 row planter buried about 3 inches under the dirt in one of my fields, and my most precious find- while clearing some trees with the brown tree cutter back in the woods i came across some old pieces of metal. nothing special i thought. i keep cutting. a few minutes later i come across a tree and notice some chain hanging down. i look up and about 18 feet up in the limbs is an old horse drawn hay rake. i was amazed. it mustve been 8 feet wide. two trees had grown through it and carried it up there. i had to have it so i borrowed my buddys cherry picker and crane and cut the son of a gun out and it now resides in the open part of my yard across the driveway from the house.

/ Things found in the field #29  
   / Things found in the field #30  
Robert_in_NY said:
So I am lost now, I have all my contacts (customers, workers, friends) as well as all of mine and my daughters appointments stored in my phone with no paper backup for a lot of them.
Robert, most modernish cell phones have the ability to dump contact and schedule data to a computer. Depending on the phone and carrier, it will cost you anywhere between $0 and $35 for the cable and software, but based on the tone of your post, this would be cheap at double the cost.

Another benefit of connecting the phone to the computer is that you can enter new contact info and appointments in the computer instead of with the microscopic phone keypad.