Tires 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires?

/ 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
This isn't a question on the merits of 2wd vs 4wd so let's not go there.

My question is... which setup would you prefer and why?

Preface: Same exact tractor other than 2wd/4wd

Would you rather have a 2wd tractor with R1's OR

The same tractor in a 4wd configuration with R4's?

/ 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires? #2  
You can put any tires you want on a tractor. So I don't understand why your question restricts R4s to the 4wd and R1's to the 2wd. Is there a specific real life situation that this pertains too?

But surely you know that everyone here is going to say "It depends on what you plan to do with it." :D If its lots of FEL work in an industrial setting then the 4wd with R4s, if its pulling a baler or disk mower through pasture land then 2wd with R1s.

/ 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires?
Yes, I'm aware you can put anything you want on a tractor... I'm wondering in general terms, what configuration might be considered best for traction, 2wd with R1's, or 4wd with R4's

Merely a question of curiosity as all our tractors are 2wd with R1's (and my backhoe is 2wd with R4's or what ever they call that style on industrials)

/ 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires? #4  
Richard said:
This isn't a question on the merits of 2wd vs 4wd so let's not go there.

My question is... which setup would you prefer and why?

Preface: Same exact tractor other than 2wd/4wd

Would you rather have a 2wd tractor with R1's OR

The same tractor in a 4wd configuration with R4's?
I'll take 4x4 with R1s.

/ 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires? #5  
I think think it depends on how the tractor is set up weight wise. Does it have a loader? Ballast?

I think that if you took bothe identical tractors like you described, both with loaders and little or no ballast, I think the 4wd with R-4 will walk all over the
2wd with r-1's because there wont be enough weight over the rears to do much good. On my kubota 3400, with loaded r-1 rears, If I leave it in 2wd and have the loader on and nothing on the 3ph the tractor has a real hard time. In 2wd I cant even bacy up the slight grade in my driveway.

Now, If you are talkin just tractor and maybe something on the 3ph like a plow, I would be inclined to think that the 2wd would out pull due to a lot more weight on the rears and very little on the front.

/ 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires? #6  
2WD with R1s is the cheapest initial investment for sure, not that you said cost was/wasn't a factor.
The R4s have better flotation (less compaction) and with 4WD almost certainly beat the R1s in 2WD for traction.
OTOH, the narrower R1s crush less width of soil, which could be a factor for row crops.

Dunno - DEPENDS, etc.

/ 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires? #7  
I am going to call it a tie. Each will develop aproximately equal traction force. If we were talking loader work, which you did not mention, then the 4wd wins even if it had turf tires.

/ 2 wd -vs- 4wd and which tires? #8