Cheap, easy bucket hook.

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I'd been looking for a way to put some sort of hook on my loader bucket without the trouble of welding. I found these at Tractor Supply. Each ring is rated at 10,000 pounds. I used grade 8 bolts to mount it. Since I will not be lifting anything much over 1000 pounds I figure this should be sufficient. I put two of them on and put them on the back of the bucket to be out of the way. They works with straps and chains. Drilling hole in bucket was very easy. It would probably be even better if I added a plate to the inside of the bucket, but again, I'm not lifting that much weight.

I've moved all of my implements around with them and it works very well. I don't remember how much the two D rings, nuts, bolts, washers and lock washers cost but I think it was less than $15. Took about 10 minutes to install. The bucket metal was easy to drill through even with my cheap Chinese bits.

20984DSC5076.jpg

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook. #2  
   / Cheap, easy bucket hook.
That's a great idea if the clevis will fit. Oddly enough, they don't really rattle that much. The bucker has to be titled just so for them to swing back and forth. I was quite surprised because I was expecting them to be noisy.

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook. #4  
Good idea. How could you hear them over a diesel?

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook. #5  
I just found these:
Tractor Supply Company - Ring Anchor and Base, 11000 lbs

and

Tractor Supply Company - Flip Type Ring Anchor, 5000 lbs Load

$6.30 and $3.30 with 12K and 5K load ratings respectively..

then :
Tractor Supply Company - Screw Clevis, 3⁄8 in. x 1-7⁄16 in.

This could be a great quick add..

and then I found this:

Tractor Supply Company - SpeeCo Drawbar 1/2 in Hook 3 Point

I will be in Spartanburg Monday so I may have to just go give it a look see...

George-- my friend you have just become responsible for sending me on my next project!

Later,
J

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook.
The first item on your list is the ones I got. I've looked at that drawbar hook before but just couldn't figure a way to make it work on a bucket. I think the pin is too big around to fit in the D-ring bracket, but you could certainly hook it into the D ring if you needed a chain hook. I just pull my chain through and hook it back on itself.

These D rings work great for me. I think a welded on chain hook would be best but this was super cheap, took no time at all and would probably be good to have even you already have a hook or two.

And I swear, they are not noisy. Don't ask me why. I heard one clank once when I went over a big bump and couldn't figure out what the noise was because I'd forgotten about the D rings. I was relieved when I remembered what it was.

Mounted on the soft metal of the bucket I don't think I would test them to their rated limit but that's not going to be an issue since the lift capacity of the loader is far lower than that rating. I suppose you could get into trouble if you were using them to pull something, which would probably be something you'd avoid anyway. Like I said, adding a metal plate on the back would probably be a good addition.

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook. #7  
I did something similar on my last two tractors. I got the bolt on hooks made for jeeps, offroad vehicles,the hooks are cast or molded with bolt holes and come with nuts,bolts. plowking

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook. #8  
Plowking,
Where did you find those?
Thanks,
Jim

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook. #9  
I bought them years ago at a 123 or dollar store that was going out of business. I can look around,they come in a blister pak,with hook and hardware,they have a black finish and were like 15-20 dollars. The hook has a steel clip to keep chain,cable,etc. from coming out until slack is taken up. I think Blackhawk or one of those companies made it. These hooks were popular on deuce and a half army vehicles. plowking

/ Cheap, easy bucket hook. #10  
Deuce and half huh?
hadn't heard that one in a while!

I remember something on the ole 800 series tons now that you mention it..
But that would be hard to find a source for too!..
let me know what you find..
Thanks,
Jim