I wish I had been there to see this mowing!

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing! #11  
George,

That really is an impressive looking dam that you have there. I too would have loved to see some pics of them mowing it. Funny, but before moving out to the country and buying my own tractor, that's not something that I think I would have thought interesting, but now, it's VERY INTERESTING!!!!

Chuck,

Cool video. I always admire something creative like that mower. It looks like it has one big wheel in the front, but I couldn't tell what it had in the back. Kind of like a weird motorcycle with an adjustable mower deck.

Eddie

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing! #12  
Around here they mow the power lines with a big wheeled front end loader. The bucket has been replaced with a massive mower ran off hydraulic lines. The thing mows like a Tasmanian devil. Trees, vines, rocks, you name it. Goes up and down and around hill like a mountain goat. Maybe that is what they used on your dam.

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing! #13  
They use Log Skidders here equipped with a hydraulic arm with a flail mower on it (To do the mtn gas lines). On the steeper slopes they use Dozers and then finally helicopters to the remainder.
The road mowers use arm flails or the tractors with wide spaced wheels.

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing! #14  
Forgot to add I saw last weekend a large JD tractor that had flails on the front and both sides, they were advertising custom mowing. That would give you almost a 30' swath!

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing!
Charlie175 said:
On the steeper slopes they use Dozers and then finally helicopters to the remainder.

Helicopters? Do they fly upside down and real low?:D

I've seen the big articulated front loaders clearing powerlines in the area. Very impressive. I've also seen track hoes with the mower on the end. They start at the top of a big tree and mow it down to the ground. That's something to see too. I could see one of those working well on a slope.

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing! #16  
SFish said:
I had a gas line right-of-way on my place in West Virgina that was very steep. The gas company (Mountaineer Gas) mowed it every few years with two very large cab John Deere's with dual wheels, front and rear, that stuck way out, and a monster Bush Hog style mower. I found pieces of 4 and 5 inch trees afterwards and they didn't care what direction they went on the hill. There was usually a group of neighbors who gathered to watch.

Steve

I've watched these guys mow right of ways. Crazy, alot of that stuff is hard to walk on.

Solo

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing! #17  
Nah... :)

Power cutter on a cable with a quick release.

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing!
Charlie175 said:
Nah... :)

Power cutter on a cable with a quick release.

Wow, I'd like to see that too!

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing! #19  
That's a beautiful lake.........I'd love to have a swing set up next to something like that.....come home from stress and just relax........

Look up "hydroaxe" (sp???) on youtube...........

I have a buddy that lives near a large electric right-of-way and there are some hills we wouldn't even attempt on ATVs. As has been said, we have found pieces of tree trunks as big as 4" or so just shredded......you should hear those machines coming up those hills chewing it up...amazing......I want to play on one!

/ I wish I had been there to see this mowing! #20  
I've seen those helicopters cutting power line right of ways. The gas line right of way gets the overgrown edges cut by a man in a log skidder type tractor with real wide set wheels, and a cherry picker that looks about 40 feet long. He stops the tractor every so often, gets in the cherry picker and reaches behind and in front of himself with the aid of a hydraulic driven chain saw cutter on a 10 foot handle. He cuts the limbs straight up from the edge of the pipeline, every few years.