Need ideas for clear cut land.

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #1  

Bud Soda

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, 3000
Looking for a little advice on some land I had logged. I had 30 acres clear cut and am planning to replant most of it but would like to leave 2 acres for a food plot.

What would be the best, or most cost effective way to remove the Debris from the 2 acres? What is left are a lot of limbs, small saplings, and of course all the stumps. Some of the stumps are as big around as a 55 gal drum. I think it would cost too much to have them all dug up. Maybe have it run over with a dozer? The stumps are sticking up about two to four inches so I could probably leave them for a few years to rot. I have a heavy duty pull type offset disk and a ford 5000 to pull it with. I disc over the stumps until they rot. also I could cut all the saplings up with a chainsaw (would be days of work) and let them rot. I don't plan on ever using a grain drill or planter in this two acres, just broadcast spread and disc planting, so roots in the ground are ok. Also have a small Montana tractor with a 25 gal sprayer. I could keep the plot sprayed with round up to keep saplings, ect. from coming back until I could plant a crop on it.

Just wondering would it be better to hire someone with a dozer, and/or excavator or try to do it myself?

Anyone have more or better ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Bud

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #2  
Here are a couple of ideas.

1)Pull the stumps -- have the stumps and debris ground up. You will need someone with a tub grinder to do this.

2) Rent or have someone come in with a stump grinder and take the stmps 5" to 6" below the top of the soil.

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #3  
Take a look in the construction forum here on TBN. Search mulching I'm looking into this option for myself for a large lot I'm planning to buy.

Matt T.:D

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #4  
They do a lot of logging up here. Lots of it.

Method we can and do use is that you use a bulldozer with a root rake. You rake all the debris into big piles.

You then have a large backhoe come out and pull the larger stumps (in our area you can only get those with a trackhoe.

You ammass probably5 large piles for 40 acres. Get yourself a permit, call the firedepartment and have an amazing weenie roast.

It is all about money up here so I think this is probably the cheapest method that is legal... 2 or 3 days with the groomer, not sure on the track hoe...

Also, if your land is fairly acessible you may want to reverse the process.. Use the trackhoe first then the dozer to fill in the holes and push brush. Out here, the brush is so high you can't see the stumps.....

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #5  
Hire someone with a mulching head machine, like a gyrotrac. Will shred it all right in place. The mulching machines can get the stumps down to ground level, but you still might need a stump grinder. If you dig up the stumps, the mulching machines can also chew them up - better alternative to burning.

There are companies that specialize in this type of work. Talk to several and get quotes from them before you make a decision.

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #6  
Gittyup said:
If you dig up the stumps, the mulching machines can also chew them up - better alternative to burning.

i suppose that depends on weather or not you want your land covered in rough mulch chips or a small pile of ash to deal with.

If going to tillable ground, i would go root rake on a buldozer. only way to effectivly get it ready for ripping and discing. (IMHO)

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #7  
I sent you a PM. I am always looking for more trees to grind up! The attached brochure is my machine, I also have a stump grinder attachment for it. A 140hp stump grinder is impressive!

Attachments

• FTX140.pdf
    159.2 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
   / Need ideas for clear cut land. #8  
Bud

I'd forget about the stumps. They are not an issue in my mind for a food plot. You can certainly cut them close to ground level and till over with your tiller. Chuck your seed down and you'll be surprised at the growth you'll get. The loose brush and slash can be run over and crushed. Anything that is remaining and considered obtrusive, you can pull away and placed in small piles thru-out. Deer seem to like them thinking they are cover.

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #9  
cbturf said:
I sent you a PM. I am always looking for more trees to grind up! The attached brochure is my machine, I also have a stump grinder attachment for it. A 140hp stump grinder is impressive!

Hmmmm so jealous.....

/ Need ideas for clear cut land. #10  
probably can't totally forget about the stumps due to grow back. you'll have to spray most likely.

here's an idea. use your tractor to rake up piles of brush over the larger stumps. lots of little piles. then burn them one at a time or start them all at once and you'll get a good chunk of the stump to burn and may keep grow back from being so hard to manage.

otherwise, mulch is beneficial. or let nature take it's course - eventually they will rot if you keep spraying them and you can grow your cover crop in between them.

amp