Where do you guys get your shear bolts??

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #31  
I am really surprised that TSC didn't have grade two shear bolts. The store here in my area carries them, as do equipment companies.
The sole purpose is to protect your driveline and gear box from damage. You might get by with a grade 5 but I would NOT put a grade 8 in there. Grade eights are very hard and think about the fact that between the inner shaft and the outer shaft there is a relatively close fit so it takes a pretty good whack to break grade twos and even more for five and more. Think on these things. :D

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #32  
Actually what I am referring to on these particular pins is a Kubota blower.
But I think the rational is the same. Order a half dozen of the real thing from a factory rep when it comes to shear pins. I'll pick up bearings and belts from local industrial supply ( my day job is in the machine tool sales and service business ) But I don't think the pennies saved on generic shear pins/bolts etc is worth the risk / reward. Just my 2 cents worth

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #33  
canoetrpr said:
DGS - thanks!

I wasted my time and went to Acklands Grainger. For starters they only had grade 5 and up. Plus they wouldn't sell to me because they only sell to businesses. Never heard of that before. Pretty daft if you ask me - turn away a customer who drove to your store!.

Called the Kubota dealer parts dept who I have been using for parts. He said basically they use grade 5 for everything. His claim - a grade 5 will shear just as quick as the grade 2 will and you wont' harm anything. He said, just don't use grade 8.

He's the second dealer now to say that they just use grade 5. I guess you guys in the USA are just spoiled with all the choice you have down there - grade 2, grade 5 and grade 8.

I'll drop by the local Lowes and Cdn tire today. See what they have.

Grainger is snotty to businesses too, especially small to medium companies. Fastenal generally sells fasteners in bulk; but they do sell to the public. MSC Direct is the same way as Fastenal; but has a far greater selection.

As for the Kubota parts guy recommending Grade 5 bolts when the manufacturer specifies Grade 2 makes me wonder if dealer management has passed a directive to its employees to recommend Grade 5 in an effort to drum up business for its service department. Just think how many thousands of dollars can be fleeced from unsuspecting tractor owners because of this "recommendation."

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #34  
canoetrpr said:
I was going to drop by the Fastenal store tomorrow but dropped by the Canadian tire on my way back from work. Mostly grade 5 stuff but lo and behold I did manage to find some grade 2 bolts that are in the size that my manual calls for.

There were 4 on the shelf. I am now the proud owner of the only four grade 2 1/2 NC x 3" bolts in this neck of the woods!.

I'll check on the unthreaded length when I put it in the mower tomorrow. Gotta bush hog a pasture after work.

Since I was able to find grade 2, I'm happy to stick with it. If I had much more hassle finding any after dropping by Fastenal and Lowes, I would have gone with grade 5. I'm willing to bet my bush hog had a grade 5 in there to begin with.

I'm probably going to stick with the grade 5's for my snowblower the Mahindra dealer I purchased from has been selling me. Broke 3 last year and he swears that it is the only thing he is using and he sells a LOT of these blowers. Plus the manual has the wrong size of bolts heck... so I just drop by his place and he sets me up with the sizes that are right for my blower.

Thanks for the help folks!
Hello canoetpr
Home Hardware also has bulk fasteners in all sort of grades so it might be an idea to give them a try
Let us know if you made out ok
Regards
DGS

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #35  
Over here - Belleville area - my TSC stocks Grade 5 only, and my Home Depot stocks grade 2

I buy all my hardware at TSC - by the pound when they have their 50% off sale - but I buy shear bolts at Home Depot by the piece and I then store those is a special bin on the tractor itself. At $0.26 to $0.42 each they really aren't that expensive.

Just for info - Per ASTM standards a Grade 2 bolt has a minimum yield strength of 57,000psi, whereas a Grade 5 bolt has a minimum of 92,000psi, or nearly double the shear strength. Grade 8 is 130,000psi.

Personally - I prefer to replace a bolt and get back going than have to wait for weeks for parts. I've hit a lot of stuff with the snowblower over the years!

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #36  
I picked up a box of grade 2 bolts at Lowes a couple years ago to use as shear bolts in my mower. Of course, I haven't need a one of them since I got the box! :rolleyes: The bolts were cheap (I think about $5), cost more for the locking nuts!

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #37  
I wouldn't use a grade 5 either. I've probably gone through 2-3 shear pins on my bushog over several years, probably because the bolts get stressed a little every time you start the blades turning and they eventually weaken and give way. Exactly what they're supposed to do. It happens so infrequently why bother changing and taking a chance. Now on the post hole digger I can go through 6 bolts in an hour if I hit some rocks but again, they're doing what they're supposed to do. Any hardware store, tsc etc should have grade 2 which will have no markings on the head and probably be silver. grade 5 has three tick marks on the head and is usually a golden color. grade 8 has 5 tick marks and is bluish (but there may be some other color variations in othe parts of the country I'm not aware of)

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #38  
I made it about 1 hour on a shear bolt for my brush hog, but I am new to this tractor thing (hence, why I am rearing about shear bolts).
Thanks for the knowledge, hopefully I won't have to drive to the big city tomorrow to find a grade 2 bolt,

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #39  
After all this discussion about what shear bolts to use, I'm thinking it's quite possible different equipment uses different shear bolts depending on brand and model. For instance, I have an old SQ60 Bush Hog bought new in 1988 and the manual clearly states the size of grade 5 bolt to be used. Also, back in the 80's Bush Hog included about half dozen shear bolts with the unit. They were clearly 5/16" grade 5 bolt. Since then, I've broken many shear bolts (maybe 40-50?) and have had zero problems other than replacing blades.
As stated above, I'd stay with what is specified for a particular unit -- not what someone else may be using on their's. In fact, I'd call customer support if I did not know for sure and was getting conflicting info elsewhere.

/ Where do you guys get your shear bolts?? #40  
sunnyside360 said:
After all this discussion about what shear bolts to use, I'm thinking it's quite possible different equipment uses different shear bolts depending on brand and model. For instance, I have an old SQ60 Bush Hog bought new in 1988 and the manual clearly states the size of grade 5 bolt to be used. Also, back in the 80's Bush Hog included about half dozen shear bolts with the unit. They were clearly 5/16" grade 5 bolt. Since then, I've broken many shear bolts (maybe 40-50?) and have had zero problems other than replacing blades.
As stated above, I'd stay with what is specified for a particular unit -- not what someone else may be using on their's. In fact, I'd call customer support if I did not know for sure and was getting conflicting info elsewhere.

Big difference between a 5/16" GR5 bolt and a 1/2" GR5 bolt. My guess is the 5/16" GR5 is similar in strength to a 1/2" GR2 bolt.