Gremlins in my tractor(bx24)

/ Gremlins in my tractor(bx24) #1  

asylum575

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Ok, Here is the scenario. Last night while sleeping, probably around 3:30am I heard a noise that woke me up. Looked out my bedroom window and noticed my motion detector floodlight above the garage was on. My bedroom is above the garage. I looked out the window and noticed a garbage can knocked over. This isn't unusual, except that there was no garbage in the cans. They get knocked over regularly by racoons and I also suspect some feral cats in the neighborhood. I went back to bed.
When I got up this morning, I was in the kitchen and noticed the left turn signal on my BX24 was on. The BX is behind the house, pretty much out of sight. Only a handful of people know it's there. I'm wondering if some animal ran along the BX and flicked the turn switch. Not that hard to do, but what are the odds. Could it have been something else? I didn't notice any vehicles running when I got up at 3:30. Took a good look at the BX to see if there was some evidence of animals. I've seem chipmunk hiding un der the deck from time to time.

Told my wife, this is exactly why I NEED that 36x36 pole barn.

What do you guys and gals make of this.

/ Gremlins in my tractor(bx24) #2  
You're ready for an asylum ;)

My take best case:

Wind gust blew can over. Can movement turned on motion light. You accidently turned the blinker on when getting off the tractor or an animal did it.

My Take worst case:

Some punk teenager went through your yard and had a sit on your tractor.

/ Gremlins in my tractor(bx24)
North Dakota,
Asylum is the name of my boat and according to Webster's It could also mean, place of refuge. 575 is the boats hull number. Been using it as a screen name for about 12 years.
I was suspecting kids also.
I'll still lobby the Mrs for that pole barn

Ed

/ Gremlins in my tractor(bx24) #4  
It's some guy that passed away before his time and didn't get enough time riding his tractor. He just happened to be in the neighborhood and thought he would reminisce.:) If you don't buy that story, I can come up with another...:D

/ Gremlins in my tractor(bx24) #5  
yep, Gremlins fer shur :D

One thing DOES strike me as odd, besides the whole episode that is and another thought reminds me of similar situations from the past.

The odd, On my BX23, the turn sigs won't operte unless the key is on, so my question is doesn't the BX24 require the same?

The thought, also on previous models of the BX's, the hazard lights were known to spontaniously turn on/off, which would of course surprise/scare those of us that has experienced it and it was traced back to this being the result of the switch(s) getting water in to them. The most common cause of the wet switches was high pressure water applied directly to the dash during the BX's bath. Normal rain water doesn't seem to cause it but can't be ruled totally out.

So my unabashed conclusion is thus,
a) some creature of the night attempted to take your BX out for a spin, a creature that has some driving ability since it attempted to use the turn signals and must have gotten spooked by your flood lights.

hummm, after more thought, it's gotta be (a) :D

The flashing turn signal has me stumped. My wife swears our 4 year old won't go near the BX. I'm also embarassed to report no seat time last weekend. Last time I was on it was the weekend of the 4th. I doubt it's been on for 10 days. I would have noticed it, since I take a peek at her almost daily. I wipe her down with a diaper weekly.
I was surprised it would flash without the key too.

/ Gremlins in my tractor(bx24) #7  
asylum575 said:
The flashing turn signal has me stumped. My wife swears our 4 year old won't go near the BX. I'm also embarassed to report no seat time last weekend. Last time I was on it was the weekend of the 4th. I doubt it's been on for 10 days. I would have noticed it, since I take a peek at her almost daily. I wipe her down with a diaper weekly.
I was surprised it would flash without the key too.

Did you get any rain lately? I know with my bx 23, I had to disconnect the switches to the turn signals because there was water in the switch and would just flash even without the key in the ignition.

-Scot

I got rain Sunday night and last night. Hmmm, I wonder if that did it. I try to operate under the rule that everything makes sense. That's why this is driving me crazy.

/ Gremlins in my tractor(bx24) #9  
the light switches on this series (mine is BX 23) are full of goblins.

They come as standard equipment but they remain hidden and asleep until the switches get wet or something, but eventually they come alive and they will turn on the lights at any time they please.

Sometimes right turn, sometimes left turn, sometimes the 4 way flashers. Sometimes they prevent you from putting on the headlights.

I've even had them so screwed up the only way to get them off was to disconnect the battery.

It always seemed to be worse right after a rain.

I got a new set of switches and started to replace them one at a time. After putting in the 4 way flasher, first, all the problems went away.

I can't explain it. That's just the way it was. Fresh water should not be conductive and short anything but .........

I keep it under cover as much as possible now.

I look for goblin traps every time I go to TSC or my Kubota dealer.

/ Gremlins in my tractor(bx24) #10  
I held out for a 30x50 barn.... man I love it..... as for everything as else, well good luck! :D