Tractors with firewalls

/ Tractors with firewalls #1  

SailorBob

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
I was just curious if tractors with firewalls or some kind of separator between the engine and the operator area are any cooler to operate than open types. I can't believe how much hot air my little 2 cylinder diesel puts out in the summer. I was bush hogging yesterday in about 95 degrees heat and it was nearly unbearable out there. I am not comfortable doing this after dark. I have a canopy that helps some with the sun too.. It is going to be a long hot summer!!!

/ Tractors with firewalls #2  
I too have been amazed how much hot air blows on my feet from my 16 HP 3-cyl on my Kubota B7100.

My Kubota G1800S garden tractor also has a 16HP 3-cyl diesel as well, but it is mounted "backwards", with the radiator closest to the operator, and the fan drawing air through it towards the front of the tractor, away from the operator. I get much less heat off the engine on this.

/ Tractors with firewalls #3  
My 790 has a firewall...I'd wager your tractors do too. Firewalls are a handy place to install some components.
However, what tractor don't have (or if some do, it's a minimum) is any sort of insulation.
Also, your legs are in pretty close proximate to the engine

/ Tractors with firewalls #4  
After years of renting tractors of diff types, reading and shopping tractor deals of every make affordable I decided on the Yanmar FX42d. It is a walk thur design with splash guards in front of each foot at the floor board. Engine compartment is enclosed. I think the splash guards deflect alot off engine heat.

Needless to say it gets mighty warm here in the desert. The last TLB I rented before buying my tractor was a JD 210 or 310 TLB with hydrostatic. I can't remember what the model was. Anyway, with the Hydro, It felt like my right foot was on fire while operating it. I would have to stop and get off for my foot to cool off. And that takes awhile when it is 110* in the shade.

I do not notice any added heat while operating my Yanmar. You could say, "WELL HOW CAN YOU TELL WHEN IT IS SO HOT OUTSIDE!!!!"

/ Tractors with firewalls #5  
I have a Kubota L3400 and I have not had a heat problem with the feet...
But we shall see what happens this winter....

I tested out a Kioti DK and it had these little splash guards on the foot rests. It was nice and the price was ok-- just it was sitting on the lot for 9 months.. They actually told me that..

anyway-- others with Kubota experience?

Later.
J

/ Tractors with firewalls #6  
jas67 said:
I too have been amazed how much hot air blows on my feet from my 16 HP 3-cyl on my Kubota B7100.

My Kubota G1800S garden tractor also has a 16HP 3-cyl diesel as well, but it is mounted "backwards", with the radiator closest to the operator, and the fan drawing air through it towards the front of the tractor, away from the operator. I get much less heat off the engine on this.
My Massey Ferguson 2310 had the backwards radiator as well. My 1531 I have now is conventional like other tractors. I also noticed the battery was at the rear next to radiator.,where battery on 1531 is at the front I don't know if the difference was for weight or protection of components from branches,etc. plowking

/ Tractors with firewalls #7  
Never thought about it, and i am not going to get out of the air conditioned cab to check!! Too darn comfy in here!

/ Tractors with firewalls
That must be nice. I recently saw a small Kubota with a cab on it. Th operator sure looked comfy in there. Yesterday I spent about 2 hours using the rotary cutter in 96 degree heat and it wore me out. The humidity here is killer too this time of year.