Glow plug light

/ Glow plug light #1  

medicop

Tractor
Cub Cadet 8354
I have a Cub Cadet 8354 with FEL (Kioti DK35). When I start the tractor, the glow plug light comes on and stays on for approximately 10 seconds. I always wait for the light to go off prior to starting. Also, sometimes when I turn the key, nothing happens. If I turn it back off and then turn it back on, it will work fine. Can anybody tell me if these two problems are related and how do I fix them? Thanks for the help.

/ Glow plug light #2  
I don't know if the first issue is a "problem". My Kubota ZTR mower has a glowplug light. I turn the key to [on] and it lights for about 10 seconds or less, then goes off, then I turn the key to [start] and it starts up. If the light is still on when I try to turn to [start] nothing happens or if I turn the key back off and then turn it straight to [start] without allowing the glowplug light to stay lit for a few seconds it won't work either. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your second issue. Are you turning the key to [on] then holding it there until the light goes off then advance it on to the [start] position? If at any time I turn the key back off I have to wait for the light to go off again before cranking it.

BTW, my Kubota M7040 has a "glowplug" light but it doesn't come on unless it is veerrrry cold! I usually turn the key to [on] to let the gauges respond and see if the light comes on then go ahead and advance it to [start] to crank her right up!

BTW, do you understand exactly what a glowplug is specifically in terms of a diesel engine? I'm not speaking in terms of my nickname!!:D ;)

I hope that convoluted explanation is not too confusing!

One more side note: where are you located in SE NC? I grew up in Gastonia near Charlotte and went to school in Greenville, NC.

Oh, and welcome to TBN!

Edit: I guess I really shouldn't say "welcome" since you joined over 2 years ago! I just looked at your number of posts.:eek:

/ Glow plug light #3  
I have a DK45SE and it does the same thing on the glowplug light. From reading the operators manual that looks to be how it should work.
The non starting is possibly the neutral interlock. On my DK45 it has done that a couple of times. Moving the HST lever to the other neutral position has gotten it to crank and fire. The interlock is touchy. I have not read the service manual yet to see if there is an adjustment.

Warhammer

medicop said:
I have a Cub Cadet 8354 with FEL (Kioti DK35). When I start the tractor, the glow plug light comes on and stays on for approximately 10 seconds. I always wait for the light to go off prior to starting. Also, sometimes when I turn the key, nothing happens. If I turn it back off and then turn it back on, it will work fine. Can anybody tell me if these two problems are related and how do I fix them? Thanks for the help.