Mowing Mowing Clover field

/ Mowing Clover field #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I have a couple acres of pasture that I was hoping would have horses on it by now but the wife still has not decided on the fencing. Anyway I planted a pasture mix of Timothy, I think fescue and clover. Right now the clover has pretty much over run everything. Horses should be in heaven when they get there. So I have as yet to get the pasture mowed this year. The clover is now a couple feet high. If I mow it I cut off all the leaves and I am just left with bare stalks. Should I just leave this pasture until next spring to mow or can I mow it down now with out distroying the clover and being left with just weeds next summer?

/ Mowing Clover field #2  
The clover will just come right back, especially if it is irrigated. Worth it to you to get a custom cutter to bale it? If you want the field to fill in even more you could let it all go to seed.

/ Mowing Clover field #3  
I don't know what part of the country you are from, but mowing it will not hurt. You also didn't say what type of clover you have planted. Generally speaking, mowing it only improves the stand. Depending on what part of the country you are from, it should have went to seed by now.

/ Mowing Clover field #4  
The page just showed up again and I see you are from New York. I would defer to others but would think your clover has went to seed or should before long. If you planted the seed within the last year, you may not need more seed. Mowing will improve growth of the overall stand.

/ Mowing Clover field #5  
Clover and timothy do very well when mowed, while most weeds do not. By mowing the pasture, you will really help out both. The reason the clover is now dominant in the pasture is because the timothy, which may have previously dominated, has consumed most of the available nitrogen in the soil, as all grasses including corn will do. This makes it tough on the timothy (which needs nitrogen to do well) and good for the clover (makes its own nitrogen). In a few years, expect this balance to turn. As the clover builds up the available nitrogen in the soil, the timothy will again begin to dominate. Simply mowing that pasture and leaving the clippings lay will alow it to remain strong for a long time. With heavy grazing or hay removal, fertilizer will have to be added to make up for what is taken away. The only reason not to mow clover is if you are in drought conditions which is quite the opposite of the soggy weather you have this year. Otherwise, not mowing will allow weeds to take over the pasture. I am not a horse guy but me and (4) previous generations of my family have grown clover to feed cattle, deer, and corn on a farm near your location since the Civil War days. Sometimes I let my nieghbors (horse folks) bale some of my fields when the timothy gets dominant and they would much rather have that timothy hay than clover. They act like clover may be harmfull to thier animals, is that true?

/ Mowing Clover field #6  
wolc123 said:
They act like clover may be harmfull to thier animals, is that true?

I have read that a fungus on red clover can cause excess slobbering in horses. I believe this fungus can become toxic in high doses. Not sure if it is present in the field or develops in the hay if the clover is not dried completely.

/ Mowing Clover field
Paul, thanks for that link. I am surprised my wife has not mentioned this before. She usually picks up on some of the strange ailments before the vet does. I will check to see what clover is in the pasture. Since it was a specific pasture mix I am assuming it is red not alsike.

So if this is red clover it sounds like it only grows for 2 years. Does this mean I should make sure and rotate my pastures so they allow the clover to go to seed every other year? If I do let them reseed themselves how do I know when it is okay to mow or let the horses back on?

/ Mowing Clover field #9  
Fescue is also a problem for mares in foal, so be aware of this if you do any breeding.