Is wider better on slopes?

/ Is wider better on slopes? #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
Most of the tractors in my hilly part of New England have their rims set to the middle position. Wide, but not as wide as possible. Some, especially those who take their tractors into the woods, set their wheels to the absolute widest position. In the case of my Kubota L3010 with Aggie tires, the treads would be 90% beyond the fenders. Looks a little funky and would probably throw a lot of mud on the operator, but also looks like the most stable arrangement for use on hillsides.

Anybody have any comments on the pros and cons of going that wide?

Pete

/ Is wider better on slopes? #2  
I have heard talk about the wider you go the more stress on the breaings,axle etc. If this is true I can not say.

Anywho have a good one/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Is wider better on slopes? #3  
<font color=blue>Anybody have any comments on the pros and cons of going that wide?</font color=blue>

<font color=red>Pros</font color=red>
Definitly more stable on a slope. Ever see that Pontiac comercial, "Wider is better"

<font color=red>Cons</font color=red>
Wider means less manueverable in tighter areas, the need for wider implements to cover your tire tracks, will definately through mud on you, especialy when leaving a muddy area and going on a road in top gear.

/ Is wider better on slopes? #4  
I have the same thoughts about stresses. The manual that came with my B7500 indicates a max width of 38" center-to-center on the rears (using R4 tires). The axle would allow me to slide the wheels maybe 46". I have some sidehills, and although there could be better stability with a wider setting, I am also concerned about the stresses on the axles when carrying close to 600# of finish mower when it's picked up.

/ Is wider better on slopes?
Ed -- Did I read somewhere that you were a fellow Marine? If so, Semper Fi, brother! Thanks for the feedback.

Pete (Devildoc with 9th Marines: 1975-77)

/ Is wider better on slopes? #6  
I am also concerned about the stresses on the axles when carrying close to 600# of finish mower when it's picked up...

Good point, but if the tractor rolls on a side hill, that stress on the axle is going to be the least of your worries!!

Obviously, it's a trade off. But has anyone here had or heard of an axle or bearing failure resulting from transporting an implement (other then abusing the equipment)?

I've a Befco 60" finishing mower. This mower (~400 lbs) weighs considerably less then your Landpride. I normally keep it pretty low, even when transporting. If I'm on grass, I don't even raise it, just shut the PTO off, and move along.

/ Is wider better on slopes? #7  
Roy, you're quite correct about "least of my worries". One of the things I was thinking about was the amount of driving I do with the mower picked up. Each week, I do about a mile to Mom's and another mile back. The trip is via PA roads (see other thread /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). While on my place or hers, the deck spends most of its time on its own four wheels. The R4's on the rear are about 10-1/2" wide, so the 7500 has a pretty good base at 48-1/2" without setting the wheels beyond spec............chim

/ Is wider better on slopes? #8  
Semper Fi Pete, I was with the 3rd Air Wing from 86 to 88, out at MCAS El Toro.

In response to the other's posts (Chim and Roy) I wouldn't go beyond what the manual says for maximum width, I imagine it could cause damage to bearings, axle, and possibly the axle housing itself.

/ Is wider better on slopes? #9  
Each week, I do about a mile to Mom's and another mile back. The trip is via PA roads (see other thread ).

chim,
you may have seen my post on lateral sway adjustments. How much movement does your mower have (measured at the aft most caster wheels) side to side?

I see you're a neighbor (Lancaster County... I'm in Windsor, York County)

Ed and Pete....can't have the grunts get all the glory. I was USN 1969-1977 (USS Saratoga, NAF Naples, USS Inchon along with a couple of side trips). I was an aviation metalsmith while in the Navy...wha'd y'all do? (Pete, see you were both USN and USMC....gads!)

/ Is wider better on slopes?
Roy -- I was a navy corpsman. Started off with the Marines and really loved it! Actually made Leatherneck of the Year for my regiment once. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Went from there to shore duty, but hated hospitals, so kept volunteering for sea duty: USS Ponce, USS Gurnard, USS Jouett, USS Callaghan, USS Pluck. Made chief in 10 years then was accepted to grad school so after 12 years I moved ashore permanently.

But even after all that haze gray and underway time, I still remember the United States Marine Corps as the most professional bunch I was ever associated with.

Pete