Ford 1710 Grinding PTO

/ Ford 1710 Grinding PTO #1  

Bart

Have a Ford 1710 with 1500 hrs .When my new KK Finish mower is attached to the PTO, the PTO makes a Heck of a grinding noise when you try to engage it. With no mower attached there is no grinding. I have adjusted the foot clutch,and depress it as I try to engage PTO but no help it still grinds...................

/ Ford 1710 Grinding PTO
How major of a repair is that? I found that i can start the tractor with the PTO "ENGAGED"and the mower runs fine any harm doing this?

/ Ford 1710 Grinding PTO #4  
I replaced the clutch on my Ford 1210 several years ago, and it wasn't too difficult. I'm no mechanic, but understand mechanical stuff. I also split the tractor another time to reconnect a linkage that seemed more accessible by doing so.

In my garage, I have a lift point that I use to keep the front half of the tractor upright. First I removed the hood, gas tank, weights, battery and other parts, and parked the tractor under the hook. Then the front half of the tractor was hooked to a comealong and tensioned. The rear half was supported with a unistrut "leg" bolted to the right side, ahead of the HST pedal. Wiring and hydraulics were then disconnected, and the bolts in the rear of the engine were removed. A little tapping and a few grunts, and the tractor was split in two. The unistrut and two rear tires allowed me to grab the back half of the tractor and move it away from the front half for access to the back of the engine. From there, its pretty similar to replacing the clutch in a car, except access is better on a tractor..................chim

/ Ford 1710 Grinding PTO #5  
The only harm would be the danger factor.